Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Gym Rat Anthropology

So, I have been going to the gym for a few weeks now. I promised to make an experiment out of it, so I will record some findings.

  1. Gym Rats love looking at themselves in the mirror while exercising. My wife says they are watching their form, but I think it is like watching yourself in the mirror during sex. Narcisism, pure and simple.
  2. There is a definite draw to working out. It is weird, but when you work out, you are truly damaging muscles. Not in a bad way, but it is damage–that is where the pain comes from. So, what does the body do when it detects pain? It releases pain killers, so you kinda feel good.
  3. The guys you hated in high school work there. Now, either they have grown up a bit and are no longer dicks, or because you are a paying customer who can easily complain to management about "Biff being impolite to me," they are nice to you (at least at my gym).
So, if you are like me... Getting older, overweight, finding that your 20-sider is "just too heavy," you could probably get along alright at a gym. Take the tour and look to see how many people like you are there first :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment