Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I go to drink the Kool-Aid, and then...

There are two flavors of Kool-Aid beckoning me...

First, D&D 4th Edition. I bought the gift box of the three core books, since on Amazon it was cheaper than two books at B&N. A game store in my old town is doing a demo for some guys who want to learn without (hopefully) a bunch of munchkins. Then I see this: the Deluxe Core Rulebook set, "clearly destined for the bookshelves of entrenched 4th Edition fans." Clearly... Fortunately, they don't appear to be any different, just designed to appeal to variant cover crowd. I hope it goes well. The guy running the demo converted The Keep on the Borderlands to 4th Edition.

Second, after getting a bit tired of grinding on RuneScape, I went to download World of Warcraft, and it failed. So, a guy at work who is trying to get me to play, loaned me his disc and a trial pass, and I was getting a firewall error. Normally I would knock the necessary holes, but being new to Vista, I have not figured all of that stuff out. Two failures led me to think I don't need to play... Don't tell my co-workers ;-)

2 comments:

Mark Bruno said...

I was involved in the closed beta for WoW and then continued playing for the next 3 years, after which I played Lord of the Rings Online until only recently, when my hobbit burglar reached the level cap.

WoW is highly addictive and can be great fun as either a persistent and never-ending single-player experience or as a social pastime with good guildmates.

I have fond memories of my time in WoW and I have a feeling that I'll be back soon.

Darius Whiteplume said...

The reason I hoped to go to WoW was to avoid the type of grinding-for-dollars you have to do in RuneScape... Though it sounds like you have to do that in WoW as well. Maybe I'll see just how badly people need a mage and then demand tribute once I have some power (something I should have done in D&D... "You like those haste spells? Then pay me biznatches!"). :-D

Post a Comment