Sunday, November 23, 2008

Aw, Crap...

Well, I hear that Pushing Daisies is being canceled. I have been hearing that for a while, but I guess it is official as of the 22nd. Here is a bit from TheDay.com.

I should not be surprised. Very few smart shows last long, and those that do tend to go south. I have not watched Lost since the second season, and House, M.D. is quickly finding its way from "favorite show on TV" to "who gives a damn" (once they started putting Lisa Edelstein in pants, I should have known the honeymoon was over).

Anyway, if you are one of the folks who have not watched Pushing Daisies, try to catch it on ABC's site sometime (you have to install their player, but I have noticed no issues with doing so) or on Fancast here (they only have season 2, and one episode of season 1, but getting the gist is easy). I am not a "save my favorite show! Write a petition!" type, but it is a really great show and well worth watching.

The general idea: Ned (the pie maker) can touch dead things and bring them back to life. If he touches them again, they die. If he lets them live more than one minute, something else dies and it stays alive (possibly forever, his dog is like 20 years old now). He brought his dog back (guess I mentioned that), but cannot pet him, or the dog dies. He brought his first love back, but cannot touch her, and he's responsible for her father dying (when he saved his mother). So, what does someone who can bring the dead back for a minute do? He works with a private detective to solve murders. The idea was to ask the victim who killed them, but of course things are never that easy.

Don't let my convoluted description fool you. This show is smart, funny, and looks great. The characters are all top notch, the writing is stupendous, and the dialogue is quick and witty like Oscar Wilde on ADD meds. Watch one. What could you possibly lose?

3 comments:

Jamdin said...

I enjoy watching Pushing Daisies too and will miss it when it goes off the air.

Reis O'Brien said...

Damn. I love that show. Every show I love tends to get canceled.

Darius Whiteplume said...

Not sure what the deal is. Probably too smart of a show, and too expensive to shoot. Looks like they are only up against The New Adventure of the Old Christine (which is funny, Wanda Sykes kills!) and Bones, which is the Ally McBeal of forensic cop shows. Frankly, I did not think either of those shows were all that big.

I am going to go with too smart. Like George Carlin said, "think of how stupid the average person is, then realize, half of them are stupider than that!"

Post a Comment