Monday, December 22, 2008

Archaic Game Material of the Week

Sorry I skipped last week. Between work and Giftmas preps, the wife's graduation, and yet another failed attempt at world domination, AGotW got left by the wayside. As it is near Giftmas, I have been thinking about childhood a lot. This was not a Giftmas present (IIRC), but a favorite of mine.

We did not have an Atari 2600, Intellivision, Colecovision, or any of the other systems out there in the late '70s. We had [drum roll] an Odyssey2!

I may sound like a dis, but I really loved this system. We had K.C. Munchkin (the Pac-Man ripoff), Pickaxe Pete (the Donkey Kong ripoff), and Monkeyshines (no idea what they were going for here), among others. The crown jewel, though was Quest for the Rings. Here is a picture:



This was a videogame with a board! You sort-of had to have a DM type player, but not necessarily. Here's why.

You goal was to collect the ten rings. You got ten ring coins, and other coins with the super-baddies: dragons and nightmares. You'd take the ring coins and super baddie coins, put them under these brown location pieces that looked like checkers. Each location piece had a location type: dungeon, invisible halls, shifting halls, and fire halls. You'd place these on the map, move your counter, and whatever the combination was, that is what you'd input into the Odyssey keyboard. You either had to get to the exit, or get the ring (if there was one).

Players could be:
  • Warrior: attacks left and right with sword.
  • Wizard: attacks left and right with a stunning spell.
  • Phantom(?): can pass through walls (not lava walls).
  • There was one last type, but I forget what it did (an archer maybe?).

As for the baddies. There was some kind of orc things that ran around in all the dungeons. As for the dragon, he ran around the middle of the dungeon, and could launch fireballs most anywhere. The nightmares were I think two types of monster, one being a weird spider, that would travel down the screen quickly and attack your character.

The little eyeball tokens... No idea what they were for.

I could go on and on about this game, so I'll save more for another AGotW post. Anyone else remember this game?

8 comments:

Keith said...

Cool post. I never knew about this game. I don't think I knew about this system. All the kids in my area had Atari. That's what we had too.

Mark Bruno said...

Yeah, I had an Atari 2600 and then later the 5200 system. I wonder what this would go for on ebay today?

Reis O'Brien said...

What a cool game! I'd love to try and play it now, which would be next to impossible. But still, killer find, Darius!

Darius Whiteplume said...

It must have come to me in a dream! It was a cheesy game, but the coolest thing going at the time. I couldn't really find any info on the web, so I am going completely on memory here.

Mark Bruno said...

GameSpy has a great article on The Quest for the Rings:

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/490/490363p1.html

Now I'd really like to track down a copy :)

Darius Whiteplume said...

I have seen the Gamespy page after my posting. Also found a good link with descriptions of the game. I'll be posting next Monday as a follow-up AGMotW.

I found some copies of the game on eBay. Some cheap, some ridiculously expensive. The hard part is getting an Odyssey, I would imagine. They had really crappy controllers, but I was able to re-engineer an Atari controller to work on mine when I was a kid.

Here is a game on ebay.

Here are some systems on ebay.

Eric said...

I still have this game, and all of my other Odyssey 2 games and system's still in perfect working order.

The other character was the Changeling, who could turn invisible.

The enemies were: orcs, firewraiths, Doomwinged Bloodthirsts, Spydroth Tarantulus and of course the Dragons.

The 'eye symbol' playing pieces were "Possessions" in which the Ringmaster (who set up the board to challenge the players) could take control of one of the player's heroes.

Eric said...

Also, here's the entirety of the instruction book for the game:
http://www.ozyr.com/o2/o2quest.html

Cheers!

Post a Comment