Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Fiction's Finest Nerds #5: Hermey the Misfit Elf

Hermey the Misfit Elf. He's not a nerd because he wants to be a dentist. Santa's elves are kind of what we'd call nerds. They make toys. There is likely some kit-bashing going on. No, Hermey is a nerd because he doesn't fit in. Elves had nerdish tendencies, but in this bizarre Santa-land, nerds are the jocks. So, Hermey sets off to fulfill his dream, along with Rudolph, whose abnormal facial feature makes him an outcast.

Eventually Hermey's dental talents come into play in my least favorite part of the film. To defeat the abominable snowman (the "bumble"), Hermey extracts all his teeth. This never sat with me well, disarming the beast in a rather sadistic fashion, and makes this my least favorite Rudolph special. All-in -all, I still like Hermey. It's the prospector whose kind of a tool :-)

3 comments:

Keith said...

I watched this recently again. I hadn't seen it in years. I still enjoy it, but definitely understand what you mean about pulling all the beast's teeth. I wish you a Merry Christmas!

Darius Whiteplume said...

Back atcha! And a swingin' New Year :-D

Tracy said...

I understand removing the teeth... He was threatening to eat them... Santa was the mean one... He didn't accept rudolph until he needed him.

Post a Comment