Thursday, January 15, 2009

Are there too many cop shows on TV?

Slight warning, this is a somewhat rant-y post, but hopefully humorous.

Man, I get home from work, and it's all CSI, Law & Order (what, are there like ten of these now?), and now this damnable NCIS. I know cop shows are a television staple in the US, but geez! Pushing Daisies gets canceled while the original L&O does not have a single character from the first season anymore. Normally I would say this would keep things fresh, but when I watch it, all I can say to the cops' smart-assed remarks is "you're no Lenny Briscoe."

I used to think CSI was the worst. All the characters are so combative. They are über-cool, but sound like nerds one-uping each other with their science kung-fu. It is always dark (yeah, scientists love doing lab work in the dark), and one of their big scientists is a former stripper. So she's the one who was actually paying her way through college (not knocking strippers, btw).

As I was saying, I used to think CSI was the worst, but then came NCIS. This show has the added sickening power of being military related as well. Mark Harmon's character (that's right, someone let Mark Harmon back on TV) is named [gulp] Jethro. Jethro. Isn't that one of the TV names you don't reuse? You never see a new show with a Barney Fife or Steve Urkel. Hey, let's call him Fonzie!

The worst part is the awful fake-goth/emo chick, Pauley Perrette (Abby Sciuto). She is way-too cupie doll for me, and does not, IMHO, pull off the Bettie bangs. I'm sure she's a lovely person and all that jazz, but I despise the character. For your reference:



Maybe I'm a little anti-social, but I like watching the bad guys. The Sopranos, Deadwood, hell even The A-Team or Dukes of Hazard. Give me someone to be scared of, or at least less of the self-righteous and-justice-for-all crap.

Phew. Got that off my chest. I feel much better now.

12 comments:

Tenebrous Kate said...

My reasons for be aggravated by that character on "NCIS" are entirely selfish. On at least a weekly basis, I have to smile at a client or co-worker and say "yes, I've heard I look similar to her" in a pleasant voice ;)

Also, I should be less bothered than I am that she ought to be wearing her fishnet shirt *under* her tank top in that photo. There's a whole internet out there for your reference, teevee costume designer people!

Darius Whiteplume said...

Ugh. Do that many people watch that show?

I picked a particularly good picture of her, only perhaps because it was the first I came across. On TV her face looks longer than Mr. Ed's (wow, that was pretty catty sounding).

You, my friend, do pull off the Bettie bangs. Too bad you can't respond with, "did anyone ever tell you that you look like the guy from King of Queens?" :-D Work sucks!

Rick Bman said...

Man, Pauley Perrette happens to be the only thing I like about NCIS. My parents watch the show so I catch it occasionally while I am over there doing laundry. However, I could just be looking for something, anything, about the show to like so I can stand to sit through it.

By the way, you want to see an awful show, check out that Eleventh Hour. It is kind of like what you would get if you crossed House with a cop show.

Darius Whiteplume said...

Ew... I think my parents recommended 11th Hour. Thanks for the heads-up!

Jamdin said...

Abby, Duckie and McGee are my three favorite characters on NCIS. I like the fact that she is playful while being super smart. I used to watch CSI, CSI: New York, CSI: Miami and Law & Order but either grew tired of watching them or something else was on during their time slots.

Yum-Yum said...

I'm not a fan of NCIS (or any those type of shows for that matter), but I do love Pauley.

Darius Whiteplume said...

NCIS is on right now. Told ya!

Maybe I'll give it a try? Hmm...

I've heard the word "skipper" a few too many times already... :-)

As far as another look at Pauley goes, already I like her better than the Israeli Salma Hayek impersonator!

David Drage said...

I don'tlike many cop shows and lost interest in CSI very early on, but I must say I do like NCIS!

I like that it doesn't take itself too seriously (To Ducky - "Who did you look like when you were younger?" Ducky's answer "Ilya Kuryakin"). The interplay between the characters is certainly less than professional at times, but it is a fun show to watch and Pauley is very cute!!!

Darius Whiteplume said...

I think part of my problem with CSI is a problem I also have with House M.D. (which I like, but am losing interest in); everyone does everything. I know you can't have a cast of fifty people, but knowing how bureaucracies work, the crime scene photographer is typically just the crime scene photographer, not also a lab rat. Maybe I am wrong? On House, people are always doing surgeries, even though they are not surgeons; they jump disciplines a lot which the AMA, let's say, frowns upon.

On NCIS, is the chubby guy who's scared of Pauley (Abby?) from JAG?

As far as my tastes go, you wouldn't believe some of the crap I do enjoy! I am far from a paragon of taste :-D

Keith said...

Great rant. I try to avoid those shows as much as possible. You can find one of them on pretty much every single time you flip through the channels. There's hardly any originality on television.

gilligan said...

I'm arriving late here... so, I'll just add an "amen" and go watch A-Team reruns.

Calvin's Canadian Cave of Cool said...

Thats what Law and Order needs...more jeeps and cop cars that flip on command.

Post a Comment