Saturday, January 31, 2009

I'm Back!

Well, I lied a bit. I was actually on vacation. A Disney Cruise! M-I-C... K-E-Y...

It was actually a lot of fun. Got drunk at Sloppy Joe's in Key West (where Hemingway was reported to be a patron). Had a few beers at a sea turtle center on Grand Cayman (yes, there was a bar at the research center). Had tequila and a beer on the beach in Cozumel (are you starting to see a pattern here?). Also went to Castaway Cay, Disney's island in la Bahamas. Pretty much I walked and drank my way through seven days of sunburn.

Also saw some Mayan ruins on Cozumel, which was one of my things I have always wanted to do. It was not a huge ruin, but still fun. Apparently it was a Mecca of sorts for female Mayans, as it was the main temple to the goddess of fertility.

Here is an actual picture of my ugly mug hidden by a slightly less almost mug (plastic cups count, sort of).

9 comments:

Jay Amabile said...

welcome back! sounds like you had a great time!

Lockwood said...

How come I always pictured you as mid 20's? Holy Cow! You're a real grown up! ; )

A couple of months after I turned 18 (the leagal age at the time in Florida), I started an evening at sloppy Joes. It moved on to a bottle of rum, and ended with me sleeping on the beach with a broken leg. Which I didn't really realize until more than a month later was actually broken. Long story. Glad to hear you didn't see fit to repeat it.

Darius Whiteplume said...

My wife would say I was about 14 :-)

Hope the leg is better. The wife can probably recommend a good Ortho guy!

Lockwood said...

It was a greenstick fracture, and basically healed itself without medical help. But I had to do a checkup for a job after the trip, and doctor x-rayed it and said it had been broken. In the middle of the intervening period I hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back out in a single day. It got better. Although a few days afterward it had turned colors I didn't know human flesh was capable of. It's pretty much the right color now.

Mark Bruno said...

Okay, the fun's over. Now let's get back to nerd girls and gaming stuff :P

In all seriousness, though, I envy you. Here in Chicagoland we've been fighting through sub-zero temps. A cold beer in Key West would do me some good right about now.

Darius Whiteplume said...

@ Lockwood - Glad it worked out.

@ Mark - Raleigh is nothing like Chi-town, cold-wise (or much else-wise :-), but it was a shock getting back to reality!

Keith said...

Wow! That sounds awesome. You lucky fella. I'm glad you had a good time. We all deserve an awesome vacation when we can get one. Cheers!

Tenebrous Kate said...

Welcome back, Mr. Whiteplume! I'm envious of your warm-climate journey, and specifically of your sojourn in Key West, the spookiest, most haunted-tastic of all the Florida Keys! I'd have been tempted to try to track down some of the spots trod by Count Carl von Cosel if I had the opportunity to visit that particular island.

Darius Whiteplume said...

@ Keith - Thanks, it was a lot of fun!

@ TK - I wanted to go to the Dry Tortugas, but did not have time. There is a fort, more of a castle, there that was outdated by the time it was finished. It became a prison where the Lincoln conspirators were jailed. It is supposed to be majorly creepy :-) And wow... Carl was a man in love, eh?

Post a Comment