Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Meme: 20 Men I Admire

Gilligan @ the very cool Retrospace tagged me with this one. The Small print:

This is called the 20 Men I Admire Meme. The title pretty much says it all. Make sure you post these rules when you participate in this meme. Here are the rules:
  1. Link back to the blog that tagged you.
  2. Link back to the originator of this meme, which is The Dino Lounge.
  3. Create your own list of 20 men that you admire and post them on your blog.
  4. Tag 5 other people to participate in this meme.
  5. If you like, please let The Dino Lounge know that you've participated in this meme so he can check out your posting and comment on it.


No particular order, save that the earlier on the list someone appears, the more in-my-mind they were. Pardon the roman numerals. I was thinking of becoming a schismatic pope.
  1. Donatien Alphonse Fran├žois de Sade, Marquis de Sade (June 2, 1740 – December 2, 1814). Sade had one of the world's great minds, and while slightly nuts (IMHO), he did spend the majority of his adult life in prison because of his views.
  2. Teddy Roosevelt. The last good Republican. There is plenty that could be said against him, I am sure, but when your party says they are not going to run you for president so you make your own party and beat them... That is bad ass.
  3. Al Gore. While I thought he should have fought the 2000 election "results" harder, I think he carried himself with extreme dignity by following the letter of the law. Think of how much better the world would be right now if he had been president. He's also a nerd, and publicly at that.
  4. Okey, semi-sappy moment. The Old Man. The elder Whiteplume went from playing baseball in Cin-City to landing Hueys in fire-fights in Viet-Nam. While I could argue they were handing out medals like candy, he was awarded a Silver Star, which I don't believe was a gimme medal. He never discusses the war, and does not glorify it. Does not own a gun. Converted to the Democratic party when Clinton ran. He's done a lot of things I don't like, but he tries to make amends and with age came my understanding that life sucks, so he gets a pass.
  5. Patrick MacNee. Another pacifist. MacNee played John Steed in The Avengers and made it a point for Steed to not use a gun, having seen to much of them in World War II.
  6. Bill Clinton. Tragically flawed, but a good man. The Clinton years were the best of my life; the first time I felt positive about this country. Lets hope the next eight years are a repeat.
  7. Julian the Apostate. Roman emperor who bucked the christian norm established by Constantine.
  8. Christopher Hitchens. He fell off my list when he started cheer leading for the Iraq war, but he has so many qualities I admire. Not everyone can be perfect.
  9. Haruki Murakami. One of my favorite authors. I even enjoy his books that I do not superficially like. He is an intriguing author. Try Kafka on the Shore or The Wind Up Bird Chronicle some time.
  10. Yukio Mishima. Another Japanese author. He is a weird one, and I don't agree with all his view points. Though it is not considered to be fact, it is pretty obvious he was homosexual, and I can only imagine how hard it was to grow up in Imperial Japan. I guess I just love the tragic figures.
  11. Christopher Reeve. I don't know how he went so long without killing himself. I wouldn't have made it a week. I don't know much about him but have to admire such strength of will.
  12. George Clooney. He makes me laugh, and is pretty darn liberal. Sure, he only plays George Clooney in movies regardless of the role, but is that really such a bad thing?
  13. Sticking with actors. Bruce Willis. He went from being the poor man's Mickey Rourke to one of the big three action stars (along with Arnold and Stallone), then into semi-obscurity, only to return with some excellent performances. If he's still a Republican, I'll cut him some slack.
  14. Thomas-Alexandre Davy de la Pailleterie. Father of Alexandre Dumas. A half Afro-Caribbean French general who once held a bridge alone so his men could retreat.
  15. George Foreman. I don't know how he has retained his mental faculties (regardless of what people think of them) after his many years of boxing. Just look at the state of the great boxers of his day... Foreman has remarkable mental competence, and that grill is pretty fantastic.
  16. Ray Mancini. Boxers are, to me, always tragic figures. Mancini was great, but that terrible fight which killed Duk Koo Kim killed boxing for him, and for me. I have never quite enjoyed it ever since. Mancini retired with a 29–5 record, with 23 knockouts.
  17. Malcolm X. Perhaps a bit misguided at times, but a powerful figure.
  18. Bill Maher. Gutsy and smart. I do love an iconoclast.
  19. Louis XIV, King of France, the "Sun King". Louis was shrewd and fairly intolerant of his nobility. He offered some of the great witticisms of all time.
  20. Oscar Wilde. The tragic bon vivant, author, and playwright. Like Sade, Wilde's perceived persona often overshadows the brilliance of his work.

Phew! Now for a few I don't admire.
  1. Mae West. John Wayne said she was a man, and if the Duke says you're a man, you're a man. Mickey Hargittay was part of West's cadre of men. He fell in love with Jayne Mansfield and West made it her mission to ruin both of them. Asshole.
  2. Charlton Heston. Glad he's dead. I did like Soylent Green, however.
  3. G. Gordon Liddy. Complained Clinton defenders who refused to testify were cowards, but he went to prison to protect Nixon. Even if he is a vegetarian, poo on him.
  4. Let's just say "The Bush Administration." H.W. and W.

Enough of that. Now, who to tag...?
  1. The Acrobatic Flea (for a British perspective)
  2. New follower Calvin (for a Canadian perspective)
  3. The Tenebrous One (for a Female perspective)
  4. Lockwood (for a Geological perspective)
  5. Jay (for a Jersey perspective)
  6. SPECIAL: Mark, if you want in (I know you love Memes) you can email me and I'll post here.

6 comments:

Keith said...

Hey there. Thanks for participating. Cool list. I'm glad you got tagged. It was great to see the choices you would make. I like them. They were all quite interesting. Cheers!

gilligan said...

Awesome list. Unfortunately, yours makes mine look like a retarded caveman wrote it. You've got Thomas-Alexandre Davy de la Pailleterie, while mine lists guys like Barry Gibb and Jack Tripper.

I may have to put up an intelligent and erudite post one day to redeem myself.

I agree with the Liddy and George W. on the despicably unadmirable list; however, I'd put Hitchens on that list too. He's certainly intelligent (and you can tell he knows it only too well), but that's not necessarily synonomous with wisdom/common sense (a trait he has precious little of in my humble opinion).

Anyway, great eclectic mix: Bruce Willis, De Sade and Malcolm X!

gilligan said...

[sp] synonymous

My bad.

Jay Amabile said...

Awesome list. can't wait to do some brainstorming!

Mark Bruno said...

Crap...why'd you have to reel me in like this? ;)

I'm finding it too hard to resist, so I'll have something before the end of the week.

This is going to be a fun meme.

Darius Whiteplume said...

Glad you all enjoyed it. It was kind of stream of consciousness. Many were kind of downers. I've been in a really terrible mood since... Hmm, can't remember. I bet that means something :-)

BTW, there's nothing wrong with Barry Gibb, he's written some really great music, and it takes a real man to be that hirsute and sing falsetto!

Post a Comment