Friday, January 16, 2009

Nerd Girl of Note #19

Who is it? Natalie Portman
Websites Official Site
Why do nerds love her?
Queen Amidala, Léon
Most of you know, I am no huge Star Wars fan. When I was a kid, yeah, but not much any more. Fortunately you don't have to be into Star Wars to be into Natalie Portman.

The first time I saw Portman was as Mathilda in Léon (1993) with Jean Reno as Léon, the assassin, and Gary Oldman as his nemesis. It was a rather twisted movie and Portman earned a lot of cred as a young girl in love with a killer. If you have not seen it, run, don't walk, to your DVD store of choice.

Also aside from Star Wars, she was in Mars Attacks! (1996), V for Vendetta (2005), and nerd-positive The Darjeeling Limited (2007).

Obviously, I can't ignore Star Wars, and frankly enjoyed parts of the new movies. Just not gung-ho about them. I liked Amidala as a tough altruist; a benign monarch who steps down to join a democracy, such as it was. Portman does a great job, and even in the over-the-top world of Star Wars you can see she has strong acting chops.

4 comments:

Keith said...

I love Natalie Portman. She's sexy and talented.

gilligan said...

I really enjoyed Garden State, but could take or leave her in the Star Wars movies... I've never quite gotten past the whining "Annie" Skywalker.

Anyway, I've had The Darjeeling Limited sitting on a shelf in its nice red Netflix package for over two weeks now and can't bring myself to watch it. I keep hearing how great it is, but something in me says "don't put it in - it will suck and you will have wasted an evening".

Calvin's Canadian Cave of Cool said...

Lets not also forget her roll as Evey in V for Vendetta. I even cried watching her getting her long hair cut.

Darius Whiteplume said...

That is another one I have missed. I got away from seeing movie somehow :-)

Post a Comment