Thursday, January 8, 2009

Premature Book Review: The Monster of Florence

The Monster of Florence by Douglas Preston with Mario Spezi.

I am not a big true crime reader, but saw a review of this at Love Train for the Tenebrous Empire, and the Tenebrous One and some of her minions commented positively, so I used some Giftmas cash and picked it up.

The story is of Preston's investigation of a Florentine serial killer. He meets Spezi who was the journalist who broke the story and always had the best leads. Spezi explains that Thomas Harris was attached to the US FBI which came in to assist the Italian police with the case. Harris based Hannibal Lechter on the killer. Eventually (this is not a spoiler) Douglas is ejected from Italy and told not to return, and Spezi was implicated as the main suspect. Could this journalist have been the killer?

I am not far into the book yet, but it is very well written, and in a narrative style (which I prefer in non-fiction). It is difficult to put down, and frankly I am tempted to take a sick day and just read the thing for the eight hours I normally waste fucking around with people's computer problems. The style reminds me a bit of another Preston (Richard) who writes science non-fiction, most notably The Hot Zone (an excellent book on the Washington DC Ebola outbreak in the 1980s. You didn't hear about that? You are not alone...).

If you like this kind of thing, I would run out and get it, but then, I am impulsive.

1 comment:

Tenebrous Kate said...

I *never* buy books until they're in paperback, but when I saw this one released, I HAD TO HAVE IT immediately. Totally worth the hardback price and by far one of the best true crime accounts I've read. It goes way beyond the icky details and gets into some fascinating sociological stuff. I read it over the course of a weekend--un-put-down-able stuff!

Post a Comment