Friday, February 20, 2009

Blog Alert: Web Stuff @ Bin-Blog

Binny is a freelance web developer, and on Bin-Blog he posts items regarding web technologies. One thing readers here might like is a method for updating Twitter from your address bar. This is a Firefox only item (not sure about other Mozillas). I am not a big Twitterer, just a twit, but think I will have to join the bandwagon since I have an account.

One thing I learned from this post, regardless of my non-Twitter use is about bookmarks in Firefox. Did you know that if you give a bookmark a keyword, all you have to do is type the keyword in the address bar to get there? I added the keyword "nerd" to my bookmark for this blog, and when I typed it in the address bar - whoosh! I was here!

Now, if you enter the same keyword for two blogs, say "geek" for Geek Orthodox and for Geektopia, apparently it goes to the first one it gets to. But, it is still a neat tool, since using it keeps you from having to do a bunch of folders. Just to bad it doesn't either open both in tabs, or alert you that the keyword is already in use.

[...] and knowing is half the battle.

5 comments:

sunandheir said...

Do I get a Knight keyword or a Sun one? Oh, and a heaps easier way is just to have TweetFox as an add-on on Firefox. You just turn the lil devil on and it updates whenever you set it for.

And yes, you Must Twitter!!! You've yet to experience the joy of annoying people in almost r/t that you generally only get the chance to annoy through email :)

Darius Whiteplume said...

Does that have something to do with the email I sent you?

:-) Just kidding. I read that already.

I should Twitter. I even have the widget on my Vista sidebar. If I add internet to my phone service, I'll probably be Twittering like a madman ("buying milk", "stopped at red light", "this topless place is crowded", "she calls this a lap dance?") |-D

Darius Whiteplume said...

Oh, and probably Knight. Who knows?

Twitter is so pervasive. I have it on my iGoogle page too. I should give it props for no other reason that is so versatile (platform-wise). The damn thing is everywhere. I expect to buy a notepad that has a Twitter feature on it :-)

Binny V A said...

Thanks for the mention!

I have written some other stuff about twitter as well. If you are a linux user, you might find my command line twitter client useful.

~Trix. said...

You seem to have inadvertently left out a link to your twitter profile...

You might as well just dive in...
Everyone else is doing it...
It'll make you feel good *and* it's free...
at least for now. ;)

Post a Comment