Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Doctor Who Question

I hate to make a bleg entry (of sorts), but am a little lost on a Doctor Who thing.

Is the Time War something clearly defined, or is it something that just happened prior to the Ninth Doctor that we don't really get to know about? My understanding is that it was a war between the Daleks and Time Lords which destroyed (virtually) both races. Other than that, I am at a loss.

BTW: Saw the final episode last weekend. Won't spoil it, but it was pretty good. Sarah Jane was always my favorite companion (before Donna Noble), even though I am not too familiar with any Doctors other than 4, 9, and 10. I ordered series one of The Sarah Jane Adventures (surprise, T-Baby!) and expect it today. Should make for good couch potato fertilizer :-)

6 comments:

SamuraiFrog said...

The Time War hasn't been clearly defined; it's more a plot device to explain the gap of time between the Eighth and Ninth Doctors (9 years) and a license to sort of change the personality of the Doctor (more harried, more worn, more cynical in the beginning). I kind of hope they never explain it too much; some of the best fun has come from trying to break the rules, which is the best fun of a lot of science fiction.

Darius Whiteplume said...

That was what I was figuring. We don't get a lot of old Doctors in the States, do we? I wish there was a SciFi Classics or BBC America Classics to show old series. Alas, SciFi does not even show original series Star Trek. They have time to show wrestling, but not Star Trek. There oughta be a law, by gum!

Great Stuntman Mike, BTW. Kurt Russell is one of the coolest guys around.

Mark Bruno said...

I'm with you on SciFi or BBC America Classics channels. Although, that's what torrents are for :) I've been able to download quite a few of the older Dr. Who episodes that way.

Right now I'm working my way through the Patrick Troughton years.

Darius Whiteplume said...

I may have to check that out. Bit Torrent was a real virus magnet on my old machine. Be sure to update your virus definitions! :-)

I'll have to check with my father-in-law. He seems to have a lot of bootlegs from the UK, but I am not sure how far back they go.

SamuraiFrog said...

And there's the damnable fact that so many old Doctor Whos are just lost in the dust. I did manage to find every available William Hartnell story on YouTube last year. I'm not sure if they're still there or not.

I've blogged a lot about the need for a real Science Fiction Network. The SCI FI Channel (which I still capitalize; habit from working for them, it's the official corporate thing) used to be really cool before it went corporate. Harlan Ellison hosting a marathon of The Prisoner, all of the Planet of the Apes movies, classic Trek, classic Who...

Darius Whiteplume said...

I did read once that many old Whos got taped over.

I used to love when they'd do Peter Cushing week and the like on SciFi. Dark Shadows... Old movies. I don't think I ever watch it these days, save when the wife DVRs the odd Doctor episode.

Post a Comment