Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A little behind here, but feeling ranty.

I don't pay a lot of attention to celebrity news, except what I see on The Soup and The :Dish, but saw a bit on Samurai Frog's 2/27 Throwdown about the Rihanna/Chris Brown thing that really makes me nuts. I don't know which is worse, the violence or the acceptance. This is nothing new, but the idea that anyone's partner deserves physical violence, regardless of sex, is sickening.

I have been listening to a lot of late '80s/early '90s music lately, and wonder where the idea of feminine power went? Queen Latifah or MC Lyte would have put their foot in their partner's ass for such behavior, and would likely have not have chosen a likely perpetrator in the first place. Perhaps culturally we started slipping in the mid '90s? The En Vogue song I added yesterday "Never Gonna Get It" was always seen as a "I am not going to sleep with you" song. It was, but it was more of a "treat me right and you'll get there" song. Verses are just as important as choruses:

Maybe next time you'll show your woman a little respect
and you won't be hearing her say 'no way'


Alright. Enough. I'm not even proofing this. Just spitting it out. Love your partner. Treat them right. If we don't get our collective act together the Vulcans will never ever land here and we will not get to travel through space.

Now, listen to one of the rockinest rap songs from the '80s.

2 comments:

Gilligan said...

Gloria Gaynor - I will survive,
Aretha - R-E-S-P-E-C-T
... the list could go on and on with artists like Carly Simon and Joni Mitchell who I'm sure are plenty disgusted with the state of affairs.

I think Socrates or Shakespeare once said: Men are not going to buy the cow when they can get the milk for free. So true.

Calvin's Canadian Cave of Cool said...

I hear you man..it infuriates me when the woman goes back to her abuser but it makes me madder when guys forget that we are meant to be their PROTECTORS...I have a special hatred for anyone stronger or bigger using their power against someone weaker...

Post a Comment