Sunday, April 12, 2009

My Trinity

So, I try not to get religious on this blog, but it being the Spring Equinox/Passover/Easter season, I thought I'd let you know about my personal trinity.


Years ago Björk would have been replaced by Madonna. Madonna was very relevant to me, as she was one of the first women to be a huge commercial success while giving the Reagan era the finger. Then, I saw her on a Brit talk show where she said all the songs about sex were not her idea, and solely designed to sell records. This bothered me for two reasons. One, I didn't think anyone told Madonna how to chart her career, and two, she was never mysterious about sex. She was saying, "ladies, you are allowed to enjoy sex too." For her to reject those items in her old age was sacrilege to the Church of Darius, LDS (Later Day Sodom).

Defenders of my faith: The Donnas, PJ Harvey, Reba McIntyre, Allison Kraus, LeAnn Rimes, Queen Latifah, Kelly Clarkson, Sarah McLachlan and countless others.

4 comments:

Wings said...

Pat Benetar was a favorite of mine as a kid. Not too into her stuff these days.

But Dolly Parton has always been a favorite. She is honest, has an amazing voice which is matched by her amazing song-writing abilities.

But Bjork? I... don't know what to say to that choice.

:)

Darius Whiteplume said...

Björk, I think, is very influential. She is a style rather than having one.

Pat Benetar: Great rock singer, or greatest rock singer?

Cyndi Lauper, Chrissie Hind... And if you go pre-Jett (the Old Testament), geez. There are too many to mention. Patsy Cline, Janis Joplin... I'll stop to let others testify! :-) Brother Frog will likely have some interesting Saints in mind.

Mickelodeon said...

Pat Benatar taught me The Correct Way to Wear Eyeliner when I was twelve years old. Twenty seven years later and nothing has changed...when I wear eyeliner, at any rate.

My own personal trinity: KaTe Bush, Kirsty MacColl, and Sarah Brightman. Alcolytes includes Carol Decker of T'Pau and Sarah Nixey of Black Box Recorder.

Love the new banner picture, BTW. :D

Jamdin said...

Great choices actually. I would probably have to go with Elvira, Enya and Stevie Nicks for my Trinity.

Post a Comment