Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Fiction's Finest Nerds #17

Well, it has been a Star Trek month, and while I try to buck trends (except Twitter :-), I did see Star Trek, and loved it. So, nerd-wise I thought we'd look at the oft-forgotten and ridiculed Dr. Leonard "Bones" McCoy.

We often think of Bones as the grumpy old man who says, "dammit Jim," and, "I'm a doctor, not a..." Well, he's a bit more than that, to say the least. Bones is a skilled doctor, yes, but he is the emotional Yang to Spock's Ying. He is passionate and driven. The loss of life, even for his enemies, is unacceptable as there is always another way. For a nerd, he is also quite the ladies man, as you can see in the episode "Shore Leave" where he is making time with Yeoman Tonia Barrows.

One could go on, but for a nerd I am shockingly not all that into minutiae. You can read all about Bones at the excellent Memory-Alpha, The Star Trek wiki.


Bones and Barrows from "Shore Leave"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He also has the purest, most gentlemanly heart of all the crew. He's definitively a good guy and just somebody you'd want as a friend. I'm in computer class and supposed to be doing something else, but I love Bones too much to not look at this.

Darius Whiteplume said...

Oddly, the Abrams Star Trek really taught me to love Bones. I began to see him in a different light after the film, though I was only recently a fan of TOS at the time of this post :-)

Post a Comment