Sunday, June 28, 2009

Favorite Albums: "Raising Hell" (1986,Profile/Arista)

I had three introductions to rap. The Sugar Hill Gang's Rapper's Delight, Blondie's Rapture, and Yo! MTV Raps. I did not love rap until Run DMC's "Raising Hell."

There was a lot of noise about this album because they did Walk This Way with Aerosmith, but really this was an all-round rocking album. There are a lot of fun dancy songs, but there are some angry, tough songs. Some feature DJ Run, DMC and Jay backed by guitar and drums. There is a serious metal vibe long before the Anthrax/Public Enemy Bring the Noise.

Some favorite tracks are below.







5 comments:

Matt said...

I was just listening to this on my iPod yesterday. It's still a favorite and gets a regular spot in the rotation.

wiec? said...

It's Tricky was one of the best songs by these guys (or anyone for that matter) period. the video with Penn and Teller ruled too.

thanks for reminding me!

Darius Whiteplume said...

I liked this one more than "Licensed to Ill," though it was a great album too. As for It's Tricky, The Bloodhound Gang did a great cover here.

aironlater said...

I remember having to have my cousin by this album for me because she told me that I couldn't buy it. I still have it.

Darius Whiteplume said...

@aironlater - If she could only have seen what rap would become :-)

Post a Comment