Saturday, June 20, 2009

"I'll Swallow Your Soul!"

Ah, a computer of my own... Even if it is an old, partly cannibalized, home-built, refuse scavenged desktop. It is my first, and as typical of your first, it ain't all it's cracked up to be, but memorable.

What am I talking about? Oh. My laptop is somewhat dead. It is always warm in the man-cave so I don't get on the afore-described desktop all that much. Anyway, enough of my sorrows. I saw a movie last night.

If you liked the Evil Dead movies, you need to treat yourself to Drag Me to Hell. It is a gross-out, spooky, goofball horror movie full of nods to the Evil Dead trilogy, particularly (IMHO) to Evil Dead, the original.

I agree with Yum-Yum's estimation that this is a gooey movie. There is an uncanny use of inexplicable fluids, most of which come from the antagonist's mouth. Also like the Evil Dead films, it is scary while you are watching it but does not have the "oh shit, I am not watching that again" vibe. It is funny and cheesey. I laughed out loud several times, but I also jumped quite a few as well.

Personally, I would see this in the theatre unless you have an über home theatre system. Raimi makes incredible use of surround sound, making important sound effects come from behind. This adds to the creepiness, as you know if you look back there will be nothing but other movie goers.

Last bit. The protagonist, played by Alison Lohman, is everything a final-girl type should be. You like her. Even after the despicable thing she does to become the victim, and after a particularly despicable act the character commits, she is still, dare I say, lovable. Lohman plays the cheesey '70s horror chick to the hilt and really makes the film a success.

Okey, enough of me. I am not a reviewer. Go see it. Tonight if possible ;-)

9 comments:

Neil Sarver said...

And who knew grave robbing could be so sexy!

Darius Whiteplume said...

That was quite the wet t-shirt :-)

Wings said...

Not sure I am gonna see it in theaters, but will definitely get it on DVD!

Gilligan said...

I just saw it today and loved it. I agree - i needs to be seen in the theater.

Darius Whiteplume said...

I didn't realize it, but it appears that none of the Evil Dead movies are currently on DVD (I could be wrong). I have a new Army of Darkness edition (Screwhead?) on pre-order, but the earlier ones appear to be out of print. Weird.

Personally, I am glad I saw it in the theatre. I don't mind ticket prices so much, but I sneak my own snacks in. Make fun of my man-purse all you want, it'll hold a six-pack, a bag of chips, Palm, cell, Kindle, and external hard drive :-D

Yum-Yum said...

Thanks for the goo-based shout out, Darius. I'm glad you dug the flick.

Oh, and hot Kathy Griffin pic. :)

Darius Whiteplume said...

@Yum-Yum, no problem. I always love your reviews. As for Kathy Griffin, I knew she had a nice body under that mouth, but never really knew. Amazing what random YouTube searches will lead you to.

dr.morbius said...

I dunno. I guess maybe I don't find the goo and spew all that funny. I didn't really laugh much at this movie. Of course, I didn't grow up with Nickelodeon on cable, either, an goo seemed to be a lot of their humor.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the movie. I just didn't laugh much.

Darius Whiteplume said...

@dr.morbius

You'd be surprised at the things I'll laugh at. I am :-)

Some of it might have been terror laughter, but I genuinely laughed at the, lets call it "gummy mouthed corpse French kiss."

I guess after the scatophilia of "The 120 Days of Sodom" and "Salo" I am a tad twisted? :-\

Post a Comment