Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Late, but Happy Canada Day!

To all my Canadian friends, Happy Canada Day. Arden and I celebrated briefly with faux poutine made with vegetarian gravy and cheddar cheese on the fries, and Michelob Ultra, as the grocery had no Canadian beer at all and Arden likes Mic Ultra. Molson Canadian is my favorite beer but is impossible to get in Fayetteville. We had one grocery and one bar that had it. The grocery stopped carrying it, and the bar burned down.

My first Canadian experience (of sorts) was seeing the Montreal Expos at Cincinnati. Tony Pérez was playing for Montreal, though he was a member of the famous Big Red Machine. We were a few rows behind the visitor dugout, and Pérez came out to sign autographs in the seventh inning stretch. I'm from Cinci, so I was a Cinci fan, but the Expos were now a close second.

Next as a kid, and this is a bit silly, a friend and I made a base or our Star Wars figures. This was during the Iranian hostage crisis and Canada had played some role we were impressed with (sorry, it is too late to look it up) so we called the base "Fort Canada."

Third, our oft-discussed trip to Toronto last year was one of my favorites. As of now, Toronto and Chicago are in a heated fight to be my favorite city. Sorry to hear the strikes messed up a lot of the celebrations in the Big Smoke this year.

That's all for now. Again, happy Canada Day!

4 comments:

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

From a Canadian I appreciate your comments brother. In Iran during the hostage crisis we saved and sheilded a number of Americans from the mobs. We are very proud of Ken Taylor for doing that because sure we make fun of Americans from our high horse but we love our Yankee brothers and sister.

Darius Whiteplume said...

I believe I was six or seven during the hostage crisis, so my memory is a bit fuzzy. Plus I lived in Alabama at the time which is similar to having brain damage (I kid! I kid!).

Given our cool relationship, thanks our previous President, and our current predicament in the Middle East (again, thanks Dumb-ya), it might be helpful if more Americans remembered that (including myself).

Enough Politics. Go Expos! Go Jays! Go Leafs!

Phronk said...

Hey thanks.

I was going to comment on Molson Canadian being the best Canadian beer you could choose to love, but if you can't even find that around there, you'd probably have even more trouble finding Canadian beers that are actually good. :)

Darius Whiteplume said...

We typically have LaBatt Blue, Molson Golden & Ice, and Moosehead. I didn't get to try Keith's Canadian, but I had one that I think was "Steam Whistle" while in Toronto.

Post a Comment