Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Fiction's Finest Nerds #24

"Hands up, who likes me?!?"

Rick (Rik Mayall) from the BBC series The Young Ones is a poseur Anarchist who dreams of himself as "The People's Poet" - a hero of the kids, who battles fascism with poetry. In fact, Rick is the first to demand calling the cops when anything starts going wrong. Rick is obsessed with Sir Cliff Richards in a way you would expect him to be obsessed with The Clash or Elvis Costello (the show's title and theme are from Sir Cliff's hit "The Young Ones"). When you see his name written, it is often embellished by his flatmates to read "PRick" (in particular, the episode "Bambi"). Rick also has a pronounced speech impediment which makes him pronounce "r" as "w" - "now youw weally in twouble Vyvyan!"

The People's Poem (from "Flood")

What do you think you're doing, pig?
Do you really give a fig, pig?
And what's your favourite sort of gig, pig?
Barry Manilow
Or the black and white minstrel show?

7 comments:

Lemmy Caution said...

I've watched those old Young Ones episodes so many times over the years, I can pretty much talk along with them. The University Challenge NEVER fails to make me laugh hard. Good stuff.

Darius Whiteplume said...

"Oh no guys, I'm gonna have to wee on Lord Snot's head!"

As if that episode was not good enough, they got Motörhead too?!? I never realized that the fourth of the Footlights College team was Baldric.

Atom Kid said...

"His name is Rick but it's pronounced with a silent "P"! - Vivian

Darius Whiteplume said...

"I didn't make the door explode, it was probably whoever pushed the ringer!" -- Maybe I should have done Vyvyan? :-)

iasa said...

Oh dude, great choice. I love that show, but its been years since I've seen it.

Darius Whiteplume said...

@Iasa - Welcome back!

I just finished the Series 1 DVD set. It is a lot of yelling, but I love it.

I do think I like Rick because we are alike. Heart of a revolutionary, spine of a garden slug. I could never write manifestos on rye bread with milk like Lenin; I'll have my laptop at the coffee shop, thank you very much. :-D

Becca said...

Its The People's Poet!!!!

And all the grown-ups will say, "But why are the kids crying?" And the kids will say, "Haven't you heard? Rick is dead! The People's Poet is dead!" And then one particularly sensitive and articulate teenager will say, "Other kids, do you understand nothing? How can Rick be dead when we still have his poems?"

I heart this show!

Post a Comment