Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Fiction's Finest Nerds #25

Bert from Sesame Street is the first look many of us had at nerdliness in action. Bert is boring, and enjoys boring pursuits - he loves paperclips, collects bottle caps, and is a pigeon fancier.

I may have gotten a bit of my collecting bug from Bert. I remember him showing off his bottle cap collection, all stuck on a board, and thought "that's neat! I'll do that!" I tried in vain, and ultimately gave up the whole pursuit. With some things I can be a weird completist (Marvel Red Sonja comics, for one thing) and still enjoy a bottle cap when I see one that is new to me or nostalgia laden. For that I blame/thank Bert. :-)

7 comments:

Dr Zibbs said...

nerd

iasa said...

I've never seen Sesame Street. Neither have my children. I'm thinking that has turned out to be a blessing. That shirt suggests Bert is also collecting LSD tabs.

Darius Whiteplume said...

@Dr. Zibbs - Happily :-D

@Iasa - No Sesame Street? What about Plaza S├ęsamo? I don't know what it is like these days, but the old shows were a lot of fun. This was pre-Tickle-Me-Elmo, of course.

Bubbashelby said...

Bert ricks!

Bubbashelby said...

I mean rocks!

*returns to Sesame Street to learn to spell

Darius Whiteplume said...

@BubbaShelby - It's okey. Everyone learns at their own pace :-)

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Bert was always a bit sketchy to me. I always thought he could talk Ernie into anything and avoid punishment like my sister always did. One of the very first sites I visited when I got online all those years ago was BERT IS EVIL and I still believe those pictures of him with Hitler and OJ...like I said...'sketchy'. Cookie would have your back. Big Bird would take a bullet for you. But Bert? He would broker a deal to sell your kidneys.

Post a Comment