Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Some D&D Miniatures

Well, I am gaming again, and then Atomic Kid got me thinking about minis again. Here are two that were easily available.

First, a grey elf rogue, or eladrin for we 4e players. I believe he was by Reaper Mini's Warlord line. His armor looks a little worn, but I hate doing just black. Like most minis, it looks better in person.


Next, another eladrin. This time it's my wife's old 3e fighter, Brynn Willowfeather (you may have heard of her in the History of Impiltur). She was a grey elf, and in 4e she will be an eladrin Shiere Knight.

Brynn had a Frostbrand Bastard Sword, so for the mini I hacked off the old plain sword and added a big-honkin Games Workshop sword. A little crafty snow, and viola!


Last, we have a big-daddy, old skool manticore. He is a big mini, big and ugly, mini-zilla ita be!

I used a two-inch Games Workshop base (IIRC) and scattered a few Warhammer skeleton parts around.


I almost always hacked the bases off minis and made my own with either standard mini discs or one-inch wooden rounds from the hobby store. Ground-cover and rocks seals the deal.

That's it for today. I took some more pics, but why not spread things out? [I'm a tease]

9 comments:

Fabulastic said...

I have not understood a single sentence of this post...

:)

Darius Whiteplume said...

That is probably to your credit ;-D

Atom Kid said...

Nice paint job!

BTW, where did you get the artwork for your new banner?

Darius Whiteplume said...

I meant to mention that. It is from "Mysteries of Hollow Earth" which I found at Scantabulous.

I always thought these were really good, but now I think they look a little cruddy. Of course, there are some really great painters out there and I should not compare ;-)

yoyorobbo said...

Dude, I think these look great!

Especially the manticore. The details on the head/face/hair/eyebros/etc are really, really nice.

Nice job!

Darius Whiteplume said...

I do think I like the manticore best. I really liked to stress faces, and particularly mouths on monsters. There is a trick to it, but I kinda forget what the trick is :-D

Two of my favorite monster mouths will be posted soon.

dr.morbius said...

For what it's worth, you're not the only super geek in this corner of the blogosphere.

This is my version of the girl in the chain mail bikini:

http://tinyurl.com/mag64y

Darius Whiteplume said...

Dr. M, that is awesome. Excellent work. I forgot I shaved off the shield, or did you add it? Hmm.

dr.morbius said...

Naw. I didn't really do much to alter this mini. It's more or less stock. I kinda wish I'd replaced the blade of the sword, which looks like it sags a bit (I may have dropped it at one point).

If you're curious, I'm on Cool Mini. Most of what I paint these days is 10mm.

Post a Comment