Monday, October 12, 2009

The Halloween Spirit

Thus far, I have not really caught the bug. Halloween is still my favorite holiday, in theory, but less so in practice. I hate to say it, but Giftmas is starting to make a good run at me.

Some reasons Halloween is falling behind:
  1. It has been three years since I had more than two trick-or-treaters.
  2. I am lousy at picking costumes, and really don't like wearing them (though I make a perfect "Fred" from Scooby-Doo).
  3. I get a little ticked at all the "Harvest Festival" non-sense.
Some reasons Giftmas is catching up:
  1. I have neices and nephews, some of whom are getting old enough to be interesting.
  2. Both sides of the family want to do things for Giftmas.
  3. Cookie Parties!
Halloween, I love you, but you gotta give me something this year. I bought my nieces, nephews, and the neighbor girl crayons to go with their candy (good Crayola 24 packs), and promise to buy good candy, and lots of it. I'll dress up as something, and even post a pic on this here blog.

While I'm here, big welcome to all the new followers and subscribers. Last I looked we had 190 people interested in my little corner of the web. Between Blogger, Facebook, and RSS feed subscribers, I can't keep up with you all. Feel free to comment, and happy Halloween!

5 comments:

joe bloke said...

yeah, Halloween's a big of a non-starter over here.

a few years back, you used to get big old gangs of little kids in costume trick or treating all over the neighbourhood, but, now, all them kids have reached that age where they'd rather sit in the park and quaff cheap ropey cider and smoke weed, and the kids who are at just the right age now are all too busy playing games on their consules to get dressed up and go harrass the locals. shame, but, hey, that's modern life for you!

Wings said...

Halloween is a great fun time here. We are all decorated here, and have been watching scary flicks. I can't worry about the number of trick-or-treaters on Halloween night, since that is out of our control. We just enjoy it ourselves.

I think Halloween & Christmas (Santa Claus Christmas, that is) are even here! :)

Darius Whiteplume said...

@Joe Bloke - I can't believe you can get a 2lt bottle of alcoholic cider for like £1?!? I would definitely dress as Sir Digby Chicken Caesar if anyone would get it over here.

@Wings - Things were better in Raleigh. Fayetteville is considered too scary, and weirdly Republican, so the Harvest Festival at church is over by 6pm, and then lock them doors!

Lorelei said...

We're about 25 miles south of Raleigh and we get about 15 kids or so. Usually I just end up eating all of it myself before they even show up, and then I have to hand out bars of soap and some paperclips.

Darius Whiteplume said...

@Lorelei - We lived in North Raleigh and had tons of kids come by. I tend to eat all the candy too. I hate giving out crappy candy, but sometimes it is the only way to keep it safe ;-)

Post a Comment