Tuesday, October 27, 2009

No Princess Here

Three things have sparked this little post.
  1. I just returned from a Disney cruise.
  2. I have two nieces, one of which is all about the Disney princesses.
  3. Calvin's post on the change to Tinkerbell.
While I agree with Kal, I was reminded of something. The forgotten "princess" — Esmeralda from The Hunchback of Notre Dame.


Why is she never included in the Princess canon? True, she was not a princess, but I think it goes further since you could argue she was a gypsy princess. I think it is because she was sexy and self reliant. Frankly, Hunchback is a fairly forgotten movie. Quasimodo doesn't really click with the girls or boys, and there was that whole by the fireplace masturbation song (watch it sometime...).

I would hope my nieces would be more Esmeralda than Cinderella, but I am not sure how that will go. Maybe I should get the oldest one of these:

8 comments:

Keith said...

I really liked her. It's a movie that I've found very few people who liked it.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

There really are so few role models for young girls out there that are not hypersexualized and don't look at being an actress and a popstar as the end all and be all of what they can accomplish in life. I now have watch Hunchback. It was one I admit slipped by me.

Darius Whiteplume said...

This was one of my favorites, but it kinda breaks all the Disney rules. IIRC, Quasi doesn't get the girl - the pretty boy does, 'natch.

Lorelei said...

My favorite was always Snow White. She didn't fit the usual princess mold since she has short black hair and is chubbier than the pencil-thin ones with long blond hair. I always hoped she'd fall in love with Grumpy.

Darius Whiteplume said...

@Lorelei - I tend to like Snow White as well. A lot of it is the terror aspect. The queen is bad news.

The book "Mirror, Mirror" is by Gregory Maguire (who wrote "Wicked") and he has the evil queen as Lucretia Borgia, which was interesting.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Oh Lorelei...Snow could never handle Grumpy. He was too wild to ever be tamed by one woman. A stallion must run..and run free!

Then Snow would be on Oprah saying "None of you know him like I do."

JB said...

I always thought the lack of props for Hunchback was due to backlash against Demi Moore.

Darius Whiteplume said...

@JB - That is a distinct possibility. I forget what part of crazy-town we thought she was in back then.

Post a Comment