Saturday, October 31, 2009

Scary Movies: The Vampire Lovers (1970)

The original Hammer entry features the incomparable Ingrid Pitt as Carmilla Karnstein.

I have not seen this one in a long time, but it is quite a good entry in the vampire canon. The titillation of lesbian vampires aside, it examines the psyche of the vampire as Carmilla finds love only to lose it, like Dracula, because of their nature.

If you are a vampire movie fan, this is one of the few I put on my must-see list. It is not the greatest vampire film, but is iconic and likely the best in the niche of sexy vampire films.

7 comments:

Metal Mark said...

I remember liking this well enough years ago. Then I got the Midnite Movies disc with this and Countess Bathory a few months ago. Vampie Lovers just seemed slow to me this time around. Better than Lust for a vampire, but just average.

Dr. Zaius said...

I love Hammer films! I haven't seen this one though...

Lockwood said...

Wanna see something really scary?

Ryoki Nor said...

Great flick. I can watch anything with Ingrid Pitt in it.

Atom Kid said...

I've got this one in a double feature dvd! Man , Ingrid Pitt was really hot!

Keith said...

I definitely love this one. It's one of my favorite Hammer movies. I've got it on DVD.

TheAnswerMVP2001 said...

I just reviewed this and the sequel in my current Hammer film-a-thon, it's a great Hammer horror, my favorite so far.

Post a Comment