Monday, October 12, 2009

While we are on the subject...

Candy is the most important aspect of Halloween, at least for one who attaches no religious significance to it ("blessed be" to any of you who do). I don't like to be all preachy, but I would like to share some of my basic, if poorly informed, candy rules.

First, since I don't eat meat with feet, anything with gelatin ist verbotten. Not only is it a problem for vegetarians, gelatin is not kosher. Most any soft candy like Starburst or the dreaded candy corn will have gelatin, and of course all of the "gummi" candies. There are gelatin free alternatives if you know where to look. Try Cosmo's Vegan Shoppe if you are really interested. I buy online from them all the time. You can also see Elvira's Halloween Treats list at PETA.

Second, I don't buy anything from the M&M/Mars company. I know I have mentioned this before, so I won't go into it, but they do animal testing. On chocolate. Really? Hershey's does not, so buy their chocolate.

That's all. Now I gotta figure out where to hide the candy until Halloween...

3 comments:

Wings said...

Scary stuff is the most important aspect, for me. Whether it is decorations, movies, tv, books - Halloween is about having shivers run up your spine!

Darius Whiteplume said...

Hopefully there will be some good Halloween tv on this year. Whenever I pick out movies I fail. Maybe another round of the "100 Scariest Scenes" or whatever is in order. Those are good no matter how many times you see it.

Maybe Elvira's Haunted Hills... A new classic.

Wings said...

Those are good, if you don't have time for full flicks or are just looking for some quick hits. :)

Post a Comment