Monday, December 28, 2009

Giftmas Rundown: Oh, the 1990s!

I promised some Jersey love, and here it is. The State...

Back when MTV was finally getting away from all those pesky music videos [/sarcasm] there were a lot of sketch shows and cartoons. Probably the most over-all success story was The State. If you watch Reno 911 or have seen Wet, Hot, American Summer, then you have seen, more or less, The State.

This was a sketch comedy show starring Reno 911 castmembers Thomas Lennon (Lt. Dangle), Ben Garant (Dep. Junior), and Kerri Kenney-Silver (Dep. Trudy Weigel), as well as Michael Ian Black among others.

For the most part, the show is absurdist, and is unfortunately a bit dated. They tend to make fun of MTV a lot, so if you are a Gen X'er or older you might get a lot of it. Some is just weird, like the talk show where the cast, crew, and audience are running through a park.

My most memorable skit was "Louie" (the "I wanna dip my balls in it!" guy) was at the Last Supper where he leads off the apostles leaving Jesus alone. When the Roman soldiers come looking for Jesus he indicates it is the the guy who wants to dip his balls in things.

So, I have the DVD set with all three seasons. Other good news... Daria is going to be released on DVD soon! SQUEE!

6 comments:

Nathan said...

I've never really watched The State or Reno 911, but I really liked Stella. Have you ever seen that?

Darius Whiteplume said...

I never really watched Stella. That had David Wain, also from The State. I haven't watched Michael and Michael Have Issues either, which has Michael Ian Black and Michael Showalter.

Reno 911 is worth catching. I have not watched the recent episodes, but the first couple seasons are very funny.

Jay Amabile said...

niiice! awesome gift. That's a really good set they put together. You're right Darius it is dated at this point but there are a few sketches that are still awesome!

Darius Whiteplume said...

Oddly, because I am not a fan of hers, The Jenny McCarthy Show was pretty good. Maybe it is on the way as well? I remember it had at least one cast member from The Vacant Lot — the short one ;-)

Nathan said...

I saw a few episodes of Michael and Michael Have Issues, but I didn't think the show was anywhere near as funny as Stella. Perhaps it suffered from the loss of David Wain.

Darius Whiteplume said...

"Perhaps it suffered from the loss of David Wain."

I get the feeling those words have never been typed before. ;-D

Post a Comment