Monday, December 14, 2009

Last Night on Earth - Redux

Just like a stinking, rotten corpse, I have returned from the grave! Yes, Fall term is over, and I hope to get much blogging in before the Spring begins.

Well, our normal D&D sessions are going on a haitus for the holidays, and as holidays were on my mind I decided to get out an old present, and force the wife to play along. That present was last year's Last Night on Earth from Flying Frog Productions.


There are a lot of great things about this game, but it is unfortunately quite complicated at times. The realism comes down to one thing: the zombies win. Otherwise, there are lots of fun items right out of horror and slasher movies; find just the right item event cards, teen angst and lust, the occasional bat-shit-crazy-fast zombie... The list goes on.

It is very similar to Risk. You move about the board and when combat arises it is D6s vs D6s. Zombies (generally) get 1D6, while humans get 2D6 (generally). Weapons and special event cards can change this. Zombies get to move one square, while humans get to move 1D6 squares.

I enjoy the game, but there is a lot going on at times. The Collectible Card Game aspects can make things hairy—particularly one card that forces the human player to reroll one fight die. If you don't play it quickly enough, and the human player retrieves his dice, you are S.O.L.

I have only played twice, so I am sure I am missing a lot. We played the "Save the Townsfolk" scenario, with me as the humans. I found all four required townsfolk, and just had to keep them alive a few more rounds. Then, in zombie movie fashion, at the last possible moment, a zombie swept in to kill my sheriff and assure zombie victory. Ah well.

4 comments:

Lorelei said...

And a very merry Christmas to you, too! Nothing like zombies to ring in a new year. A game for the whole family!

kenchan13 said...

LOVE THIS GAME! I too have only played a hand full of times but man i love this game.Also check out the Adventurers and Space Hulk. These 3 games are my faves at the moment.

Darius Whiteplume said...

@Lorelei - There is always time for Zombies at Giftmas ;-)

@kenchan13 - I'll have to look at those. We don't play board games much though. There is a new supplement at Flying Frog: "Radioactive Grave Dead" which has a new scenario(s) and comes with green translucent zombie models.

kenchan13 said...

i still need to pick up the expansion.radioactive zombies sounds cool though.

Post a Comment