Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Song Stuck in My Head...

If you look at my Tumblr then you know I am a fan of Lady Gaga... or at least you know I post a lot of pics and videos. One of my blogger friends recently asked if I liked her music too, and could I recommend some. This led me to think that many of you might be unfamiliar.

La Gaga is a controversial figure, probably for all the wrong reasons. To us older folks she seems a throwback to Madonna or Cyndi Lauper; or perhaps more Dale Bozzio or Nina Hagen like. Younger readers may just see her as flashy and without substance. Here is rebuttal. Both assertions are right and wrong.

As far as being a throwback to earlier strange-girl acts, there is a lot of similarity—particularly with Bozzio, but I feel this is part reverential, and part '80s retroism or perhaps hipsterism. Considering the lack of substance and flash, my argument would be that she is in the pop music industry, and is successful. Pop music is by nature flashy and seemingly without substance.

I enjoy her music a lot. I am not a big pop music fan. I don't go to clubs. I don't dance. I do however really enjoy Lady Gaga's music. Here are a few of her bigger hits. Give them a try. Click the link for the song on Blip.fm.

Beautiful Dirty Rich: this one is more rocky/funky, but with a splash of Brittany Spears to it. Probably one of my top three songs by her.

Poker Face Live at the Cherry Tree: this is a piano and vocal version of the hit Poker Face that really shows off her voice and piano talents, as well as arrangement skill. This is an atypical version of a pop song and sounds like something out of Cabaret!

Love Game: now, I must admit that I thought Poker Face and Just Dance were stupid songs when I first heard them, but this one turned me around. It is delightfully filthy without saying anything overtly crass.

Okey, that is all for now. Give the Lady a try.

8 comments:

The Acrobatic Flea said...

Thank you!!!! I love Lady Gaga and it's refreshing to find someone NOT bashing her in our neck of the Interwebs :D

Darius Whiteplume said...

We do live in a rough neighborhood ;-)

Tommy Salami said...

I don't like her music, but that's personal taste. I don't think she's untalented, and I admire the fact that she's in charge of her own image to such a degree. I prefer my eye candy to be independently sexy, not whored out like the pop stars of the year are.

Rhonny Reaper said...

omg I LOVE gaga XD lol

Darius Whiteplume said...

@Tommy - You'll come around... ;-)

@Rhonny - She is lovable. Thanks for stopping by! :-)

Nathan said...

I like Lady Gaga pretty well. A lot of criticism of her seems to be along the lines of "she thinks she's shocking, and she's not," but why can't she just be a regular pop star who likes playing dress-up?

el tecolote vengador said...

Have you done a post releated the Born This Way album?

Darius Whiteplume said...

I have not done Born This Way yet. I've listened to it, but not seriously. I have a post in progress, but it has been on the back burner.

Post a Comment