Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Archaic Game Material: Descent into the Depths of the Earth

One of the first D&D modules I ever bought was D1-2 Descent into the Depths of the Earth & The Shrine of the Koa-Toa. I think I bought it for the image on the back (which I can't find anywhere) of a guy getting his brains sucked by a mind flayer (illithid for you youngsters).

I must admit, we never played it properly, being munchkins at the time. In fact, we always skipped the Descent part and and got right to the Shrine. Being young players with no guidance, we reveled in our munchkinhood, which sadly has left me with no idea of what this module actually contained.

Ah, well...

Bonus geek cred to anyone who can provide the back image. ;-)

6 comments:

Tim Brannan said...

Like this?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_kKjrNsGlZbE/S1cDjGslV3I/AAAAAAAAANc/kJd0o7Bez7U/s400/mindflayer.jpg

One of my favorite images too. And the magic-user became the basis of one of my long time running characters, Cara.

Hmm. Maybe I should find her old sheet and see if I can convert her over to some other games.

Darius Whiteplume said...

Two Tims come through. Tim knight emailed me too. Thanks guys.

I had totally forgotten the great prismatic spray wizard :-)

Tim Brannan said...

Yeah it is pretty awesome. Almost as cool as the back cover of D3. OR at least I thought so at the time.

Darius Whiteplume said...

After you mentioned it I went looking, but could only find a thumbnail. Is that like an angel and some other creature? Is kinda cool. I like all those modules' art.

Tim Brannan said...

Awesome new graphic!

Here is D3.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_kKjrNsGlZbE/S1ek64IkuHI/AAAAAAAAANk/11jGI6fYbYc/s640/d3back.jpg

Darius Whiteplume said...

Hah! The Disco Drow!

Post a Comment