Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Fiction's Finest Nerds #27

Once upon a time there were many great things coming out of MTV's now rotten rectum. Liquid Television, The State, The Maxx; hell, even The Jenny McCarthy Show was pretty good. The coolest thing MTV ever birthed was also the nerdiest.

I still want to be Daria, and in some ways I am. I don't fit the stereotype for my sex, despite being heterosexual. I am uncomfortable with crowds, heights, white people, machismo, advertising, jocks, beauty queens... The list goes on. And while I am no authority on Daria Morgendorffer, I am going to assume her list is similar.

Rumor has it that Daria will be showing up on DVD this year, and I certainly hope so.

5 comments:

Pennie Varvarides said...

Oh how I loved watching Daria! I can't believe MTV went from shows like that to the shit that's on now. Though saying that I've boycotted the channel (not in a dramatic boycotting kinda way - more like I've just not bothered with it) for a pretty long while now.

I use to want to be Daria too. Though that's probably not the sort of goals kids should aim for. I can't imagine it's very helpful when it comes to integrating into the real world - but heck, fuck the real world.

TS Hendrik said...

I still quote that show all the time. Can't frickin' wait for it to hit DVD.

Darius Whiteplume said...

@Pennie - I can't remember the last time I watched MTV. Possibly when Daria was on ;-)

@TS - It will be a must buy at the Whiteplume compound!

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I totally was in love with Daria. She helped me resolve the issues I had for being attracted to a cartoon character. I loved her snark and the way she always seemed just on the edge of exploding with murderous rage. I find that sexy...sue me. Believe it or not my best friend in high school was a girl very much like Daria. You could have just called the show 'Shauna'. My first day in the new school some girls were making fun of my short haircut and she ripped into them in class much to the delight of me and the other classmates. It was love at first sight.

Matt Bradshaw said...

Wow, I figured Daria would already be on DVD by now, but I see it isn't. I was a bit older than the show's target demo but it still made me hark back to my own socially awkward youth.

Post a Comment