Thursday, January 28, 2010

Premature Game Review: Soulcalibur Legends (Wii)

Yes, I know. I am way behind on the whole console gaming thing. You young kids with your PS3s and XBox360s have been enjoying the new games while poor old Whiteplume has been rocking the Playstation 1 for about ten years now... and PS2 was already on the way by then. So forgive me if I discuss a three-ish year old game. Namco/Bandai's Soulcalibur Legends for the Wii.

I always loved Soul Edge, whether doing battle with my friends, or handing off in a "see if you can beat this asshole" fashion. It was great fun, and I specialized with Taki and Li-Long. Hardest opponents were always Inferno (obviously) and the despicably creepy, yet inexplicably enthralling Voldo.

So, now with the Wii, I thought I'd get some of my fun back. I thought. Soulcalibur Legends is like playing Tomb Raider without the puzzles, or a 3-D version of Golden Axe. It is single player, and thus-far completely combat... Now, combat only wouldn't be bad, except that this one purports to be an Action RPG. There is no real RPG element yet, at least no more than you'd find in Castlevania of old. You start off with only Seigfried, and the first additional character you get is, I believe, Ivy.

Worst part is that there is no "versus" combat. The whole point of games like Tekken, Street Fighter, Dead or Alive, and Soul Edge/Blade/Calibur is some fun beat-em-up action against your buddies. Without that, it is pretty pointless.

Oh, and no Seong-Mina or Li-Long. That really sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment