Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Fiction's Finest Nerds #30

I am not one to cherish things. I do like my possessions, but if many of them were to disappear I would not be heartbroken. One little thing I would be hurt to lose is a signed copy of Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time. This, after a reminder from Mickey Glitter, leads us to Fiction's Finest Nerd #30: Charles Wallace.

Charles Wallace is very much an advancement of man. He is incredibly intelligent and has a gift for knowing what is going on. He did not speak until the age of four, but when he began he was using complete sentences in an adult fashion.

Charles Wallace is the hero of A Wrinkle in Time and appears in L'Engle's other "Time Trilogy" books (A Wind in the Door, and A Swiftly Tilting Planet).

I have only read "Wrinkle" thus far, but really enjoyed it. L'Engle does not patronize kids. She never takes a condescending tone and tackles a lot of real issues. If you have never read this, I fully recommend it.

8 comments:

Joe Tortuga said...

I've read Wrinkle many times, and Wind once or twice, but I wore the cover off my copy of A Swiftly Tilting Planet. It's probably one of my favorite books in the series, with Charles Wallace in his late teens (IIRC).

There's also a book about Noah, and the twins that seemed clueless in that family. And I think Charles grows up to marry or fall in love with some characters from her other books. Her stories are as entertwined as Heinlein's Future History stuff, although it all stands on it's own (you could read Swiftly without ever reading Wind, I think.

Darius Whiteplume said...

Thanks, Joe. I did not know about the Heinlein connection. I never read any of L'Engle's books until she did a signing at a the bookstore I worked at. I just got Wind the other day to add to the pile of "to reads" (well, in this case, space on my Kindle :-). I have yet to read any Heinlein either. I was a poor reader when I was young, and am playing catch-up these days.

Bubbashelby said...

I would certainly recommend Wind in the Door and Swiftly Tilting Planet too - although it has been about fifteen years since I re-read the trilogy, I loved them as much as I did when I first read them in Elementary School.

Darius Whiteplume said...

I am torn between rereading Wrinkle and just diving into Wind. I enjoyed the first book, and could certainly plow through it fast enough. I just have so much stuff I want to get to.

I'll flip a coin when I am done with "No Longer Human" - PBR tomorrow on that one, BTW.

Nathan said...

Hey, I apparently didn't start speaking until I could say entire words, and now people are saying that's a sign of Aspergers.

I did enjoy the series, by the way, even if I don't remember the other two books all that well. I know there's something in Wind about going inside a mitochondrion, and Planet deals with time travel.

Mickey Glitter said...

I read all three by the time I was twelve or thirteen and can still see the book covers in my mind (I had a three-set of the trilogy and a single copy of "Wrinkle.") Some years ago, this was a choice for the bookclub I belong to and one of the guys in the bookclub (married to a very good friend of mine) somehow likened it to the Cold War. I don't recall exactly how he did this, but yeah! A little bit of something for everyone. I think I had a crush on Meg when I was small.

Mickey Glitter said...

Also, I'm pleased my suggestion was such a good one! =)

Darius Whiteplume said...

@Nathan - I have mixed feelings about all the childhood mental disorders. I don't think you recover from Aspergers, so your likely in the clear (unless you act like Sheldon from Big Bang Theory :-)

@Mickey - You are always able to inspire me :-) I must admit that this particular feature is a hard one to keep coming up with new ones on. There are so many, but I am not always familiar enough to write about them with any authority.

Post a Comment