Friday, February 19, 2010

Nerd Girl of Note #50

It is likely that occasionally you think, "what is wrong with Darius? How could he skip X on his Nerd Girl of Note entries?" Well, as I was planning for #50 I thought it needed to be someone important. You know how we all are with round numbers. Well, if this was a wedding anniversary, 50 would be gold, so here is a golden Nerd Girl icon.

What would the world be like without the '70s television show Wonder Woman? It would be a cold dark place. Thank the Invisible Pink Unicorn (blessed be Her holy hooves) that we had Lynda Carter to portray our beloved Amazon so deftly. Lynda Carter is so iconic as Wonder Woman that it has prevented a Wonder Woman movie, as who could live up to Ms. Carter? Megan Fox? I think not.

After Wonder Woman, Lynda stared along side Loni Anderson (WKRP in Cincinnati) in the short-lived Partners in Crime as socialite/detective Carole Stanwyck. It was a misfit comedy with Carter's Stanwyck playing straight to Anderson's Sydney Kovak, a con-artist/pickpocket/jazz bass player (really?); they were both married to the same man, a private detective who was murdered leaving them his business.

Later, Carter did a few "Lifetime" type made-for-tv movies, and some voice work. Her real comeback was as the recurring character Lorraine Dillon on Law & Order and Law & Order: Special Victims Unit. Dillon was a southern con-woman, who along with her daughter ran afoul of the NYPD.

Bobbie Jo and the Outlaw @ Fancast










21 comments:

Tim Brannan said...

Linked you at "Amazon Princess" where I am an occasional contributor.

http://amazon-princess.blogspot.com/2010/02/lynda-carter-nerd-girl-of-note.html

The Vicar of VHS said...

Great stuff, but two suggested edits:

Not "a" nerd girl of note, but THE NGoN.

Also, not girl, but WOMAN. She makes all others look childish, imo.

Oh, Linda...you can tie me up and force me to tell the truth anytime...

Darius Whiteplume said...

@Tim - thanks, I should have though to post there as well :-)

@Vic - I completely agree. Especially with the tying up part ;-)

Wings said...

Great choice for #50, Darius!

I think you are spot on with the WW movie issues, too, since really, how can you find another Lynda Carter? You simply can't.

For me, her spot in royalty is tied with Lindsay Wagner. Quite a pair they were, pushing so many 70s boys into 'manhood'.

Wings said...

Oh, and I did watch each episode of Partners In Crime. Loved it then, not sure how it would hold up today.

Jamdin said...

She is still a goddess after all these years.

Darius Whiteplume said...

@Wings - Thanks. I just barely remember Partners in Crime, but I know I watched it. There was quite a jiggle factor to it. For some reason I keep seeing Loni Anderson playing the double bass and making some corny "jazz" face. Not sure if it is just my imagination.

@Jamdin - She has held up really well, and her acting on Law & Order is of at least L&O quality.

Coming soon will be some more '70s action in NGoN, but first, another Amazon...

Tim Brannan said...

Well if they do a new movie then can we get Lynda CArter to play Hippolyta at least?

Darius Whiteplume said...

@Tim - I think they would have to. There might be a revolt otherwise. Let's just not let Robert Rodriguez near it. I love the guy, but lately if you don't want a movie made, get him on board :-D

BTW, I found "Partners in Crime" on YouTube here.

Wings said...

I rembered the opening narration as it played just now. Ah nostalgia!

Al Bruno III said...

Man I had a such a crush on her back in the day... and she is still beautiful now... I will confess to watching some bad pretty bad TV movies just to see her in it.

And who could forget her mostly pants-free interpretation of RUBBER BAND MAN?

Still though I must confess that I never wanted to be tied up by Wonder Woman; my bondage fantasies will always be the domain of Julie Newmar's Catwoman.

(Man... ever think that us nerd dudes are nothing more than neurosises and fetishes held together by a thick film of processed cheese?)

Darius Whiteplume said...

@AB - don't forget the Cheeto dust as a catalyst ;-)

Al Bruno III said...

And speaking of Ms. Carter's Wonder Woman - this is the stuff that slashfics are made of! http://fuzzycrushes.tumblr.com/post/400511514/lynda-carter-and-her-stunt-double-jeannie-epper

Darius Whiteplume said...

That is cool. Thanks.

Mickey Glitter said...

Oh, the memories of wee Mickey totally crushing on Wonder Woman. And the Bionic Woman, too, now that you mention it. Great choice!

Darius Whiteplume said...

I don't know what I'll do for #100... I have have to find an honest-to-blog math & science nerd. Hmm...

wiec? said...

great gallery and nice pick for #50 Darius!

when i skim too fast i miss stuff and when i hit "golden nerd girl" i thought it was going to be a post about Bea Aurther. okay i'll go now.

Darius Whiteplume said...

@wiec? - danke. Maybe Bea will make an appearance?

Lacey said...

AND she released two albums, one of which I still have.

A good singer, a good actress, a cultural icon.

Darius Whiteplume said...

There is some good stuff of her on Youtube singing. Mostly "Rubberband Man" IIRC.

Anonymous said...

I remember watching Partners In Crime and thinking that I'd let either Ms. Anderson or Ms. Carter pick my pocket any day! ;) Both women helped accelerate my puberty.

Post a Comment