Monday, March 15, 2010

Fan-Boy Icon #5

Thom Christopher played one of Buck Rogers' iconic characters: Hawk. Now, I know it is Buck Rogers month, and I love the show, but I seem to be busting on it a lot. This entry is going to be no exception.

I don't know if Hawk is a play on the Hawkmen from Flash Gordon, or if he is just some attempt to make a strange, new character for the team. Either way, Hawk was a pretty stupid idea.

First, he has no wings. Well, lets just go with that. He has no friggin' wings. He's a hawk that cannot fly. The only thing hawk-like is, perhaps, his "hair" helmet. Well, I guess he was also predatory, and was supposed to be tough, but if you cannot fly, or you are not Avery Brooks, what the hell are you doing with the name Hawk? At best, you should be "Penguin," but that is already taken. Maybe "Ostrich?" They are tough, flightless birds. There were plenty of sci-fi/comicbook characters with hawklike attributes, but they did not look like hawks; Hawkman had wings, but no superfluous feathers, the same with the hawkmen from Flash Gordon. Birdman was the same. The closest thing to Hawk was The Blue Falcon, and he was a cheesey rip-off of Batman.

Really, I loved the cheesey fun nature of the show, but this character left so little positive impression on me that I can't say anything good. Maybe he was a prototype for Worf? Perhaps... That's all I can get in the positive frame. Calvin, fire when ready.

7 comments:

Wings said...

He was odd. I liked him as a kid, even though I thought he was weird. Wasn't there a girl or lady Hawk-species friend of his, too?

Lisa Marie said...

I found you over at http://jesseacohen.blogspot.com/ NotWorthMentioning! Love your blog... it makes me so happy!!!!!
Loved Buck Rogers...loved it

Gilligan said...

I hated everything about the second season, and Hawk most of all. Handing Gil Gerard the reigns was a bad, bad idea.

As Twiki would say: "bidi, bidi, bidi, AWFUL"

You still gotta love that little robot rockin' the Dr. Theopholis around his neck like Flava Flav.

Tim Brannan said...

Second season of Buck Rogers was certainly a Jump-the-Shark moment.

I liked Hawk's ship and I think I supposed to like him because he was packaged as "cool", but nothing about him made any sense and there was no reason for him in the show.

Plus he stole the limelight from Wilma and that was never a good thing.

Darius Whiteplume said...

@Wings - I forget if there was a female Hawk. I need to watch "Time of the Hawk" if for no reason other than that Sid Haig was in it.

@Lisa Marie - I just found Jesse Cohen the other day. Glad you came by!

@Gilligan - Season two is tending to suck ass. I believe Dr. Theopolis was ditched.

@Tim - Maybe they should have made him "The Shark" - though I forget if that ep of Happy Days had occurred yet. Certainly the term was not in use ;-)

db said...

As Gilligan said, while I absolutely love the first season the whole second season of Buck Rogers bummed me out -- it turned into boring Star Trek nonsense, and Hawk is the epitome of that. Gil Gerard talking about how he wanted the show to be "more serious" and tackle "important themes" is exactly what I don't want. There's so little sci-fi tv that just runs on unashamed eye candy and idiot glee. Less Hawk, more cosmic disco freakouts!

My Sid Haig fixation (he's my model for facial hair grooming) actually led me to watch the whole run of Jason of Star Command. Yeeeesh.

vasya said...

As Gilligan said, while I absolutely love the first season the whole second season of Buck Rogers bummed me out -- it turned into boring Star Trek nonsense, and Hawk is the epitome of that. Gil Gerard talking about how he wanted the show to be "more serious" and tackle "important themes" is exactly what I don't want. There's so comprar en china por internet little sci-fi tv that just runs on unashamed eye candy and idiot glee. Less Hawk, more cosmic disco freakouts!

Post a Comment