Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Fiction's Finest Nerds #32

Twiki was a little robot that had two jobs. First, he toted the mobility-challenged Doctor Theopolis around. Second, he cracked wise about most things, but particularly about the sexy women in the cast.

Oh, yeah. He said "bidi bidi bidi" a lot.

Twiki was voiced by Looney Tunes master Mel Blanc, and physically portrayed by Felix Silla (best known, perhaps, as playing Cousin Itt on The Addams Family, and an Ewok in Return of the Jedi).

Does Twiki really count as a nerd? In many ways, yes. He's the physically imperfect, girl crazy little guy who is completely incompatible with the women he chases. Sounds like a nerd to me; or perhaps a "spaz" or "dweeb," but I use nerd to encompass all manifestations of non-jock/non-douche incarnations.

Personally, I was never a Twiki fan. He looked like a Little Lord Fauntleroy robot with his weird paige-boy hair-helmet, and often was not very funny. Also, I never understood why Doctor Theopolis needed a pair of legs that were not part of him, but more on that next week.

11 comments:

Wings said...

I was okay with Twiki, thought he was a little buddy for Buck. But yeah, he was odd looking, wasn't he?

Darius Whiteplume said...

I think I liked him as a kid, but watching the show now he just seems strange.

I was watching "Unchained Woman" last night, and there were all these lifelike prison androids running around. You'd think Dr. Theopolis would have one of those instead?

The Vicar of VHS said...

Felix Silla also played Misquamacus in THE MANITOU, which is doubtless his greatest role. ;)

I never liked Twiki that much--even as a kid I could tell he was just there to pander to the presumed need for a "cute thing for kids to identify with." Don't condescend to me, Buck Rogers!

Comment verification: "cofalato." Most popular item on the Starbucks Brothel/Cafe menu. ;)

Darius Whiteplume said...

I blame the little robot from the Fantastic Four cartoon, even if that came later (not sure).

Looks like Felix was all over the place from the IMDb. I guess he's not as famous as some smaller actors since he isn't British and/or hasn't killed himself.

Bubbashelby said...

I met Twiki at a car show once. Well, someone in a Twiki costume anyways. They had some official "Meet Twiki of Buck Rogers" thing going on. When I shook his "hand" I was disapointed to discover it was made of plastic.

Darius Whiteplume said...

That would be disappointing.

I wonder how they found people to play Twiki? Surely silla wasn't running around the country in that costume?

wiec? said...

i dunno. i liked Twiki i guess. when that show was on we both kind of had the same bowl haircut.

when i had the toy he was c-3po's little brother.

Darius Whiteplume said...

3PO's brother. That I could get behind.

Wait. That doesn't mean what it sounds like. ;-)

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Totally lamest robot ever and the most useless one. Can't fight or move fast, can't plug himself into technology or even heat up a cup of hot chocolate. He was the 'flava flave' for big clock Dr. Theopolis. How do you go from examples like R2D2 and C3PO to this abomination? How did someone in the writing room actually bring up the IDEA or Twiki and how was it ever agreed on as the right direction to go? And that voice? That FRICKEN VOICE after the 'bidi bidis'???? He was the reason car crushers were invented. I got Twiki issues don't I? Don't judge me. At least BSG's Muffet had some personality.

Darius Whiteplume said...

You read my mind on the Flavor Flav thing. Those evil octopod mind control powers aren't rubbing off on you, are they?

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Do you really think I could have fought them all these years without having a natural resistance to mind control?

wv - forsul - as in "Forsul Sir, Forsul!

Post a Comment