Monday, April 26, 2010

Fan-Boy Icon #11

Viggo Mortensen is probably best know for playing Strider in The Lord of the Rings trilogy. That's a big deal, right? I mean, Strider is the whole reason there is a Ranger class in D&D. I thought I'd talk about a different film though, one I hope you have seen, or will after reading this.

Eastern Promises (David Cronenberg, 2007) is a story of the Russian Mob in London. Viggo plays Nikolai, a low level gangster with a strong resumé who has befriended the mob boss' son, Kirill. Naomi Watts plays Anna, a midwife who delivers the baby of a dying young Russian girl. She found the girl's diary but cannot read it, as it is in Russian. This leads to her and her family getting involved with the gangsters as she tries to find a home for the child.

Currently, this is one of my favorite films. It leaves a lot of questions unanswered, which for me is good. Nice little packages are not as much fun, nor nearly as interesting. This was a very well done picture in my opinion, and has a lot of classic mystery styling.

No comments:

Post a Comment