Monday, April 5, 2010

Fan-Boy Icon #8

Now, some of you might think I am nuts. "Isn't that the American Top 40 guy from, like a hundred years ago?" Why yes, it is. His nerd-cred lies with these two word: Shaggy, Robin.

Casey Kasem was the original voice of Norville "Shaggy" Rogers in 1969's Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?, and continues to do voice work for the character, most recently in Scooby-Doo and the Samurai Sword (2009). That is probably one of the cartoon world's most recognizeable voices. In my opinion, Shaggy is right up there with Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouseon the recognition scale. Kasem also voiced Robin in the various incarnations of The Super Friends, and is likely only second to Burt Ward when asking "what should Robin sound like?"

Aside from these roles, Kasem did a great deal of voice work for cartoons, including numerous Transformers characters, such as Bluestreak, Teletraan I, and Cliffjumper. He was Merry in the animated Return of the King. Then there are various roles in Battle of the Planets, Hong Kong Phooey, Josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space, and Mister Magoo.

2 comments:

Wings said...

As a kid, I don't think my mind associated the similarity in some of the characters he voiced.

But just hearing him speak now is a blast-from-the-past bit of nostalgia, having listened to his Top 40 every weekend!

Darius Whiteplume said...

Before I descended into the pit of hair metal and later indie music, I used to love American Top 40. I never knew he was Shaggy/Robin until years later. I'll take Kasem over Seacrest any day. But I'd take either over Rick Dees. I will never forgive him for Disco Duck. ;-)

Post a Comment