Monday, May 10, 2010

Frank Frazetta Dead at 82?

I have no idea if this is true, but it appears that the godfather of fantasy art, Frank Frazetta, died today.

If you are not familiar with Frazetta's art, it is only because you don't know the name. There is no fantasy art that does not owe him some credit. He was a fantastic painter, and creator of some of fantasy's most iconic images. I dare say, without checking, that the image we have of Conan and Tarzan are all derived from his work.

I always loved Frazetta's paintings. There was a great deal of energy to them, and while his figures were idealized, they were also achievable human forms. Artists like Ken Kelly, Mike Hoffman and Frank Cho owe him a real debt, as do fantasy publishers since we all know that covers sell books just as well as authors and stories, particularly in the pulp realm.

Here are a few favorites of mine.





















10 comments:

Tim Brannan said...

Looks like there is confirmation.

http://www.comicsbeat.com/2010/05/10/frank-frazetta-rip/

Damn.

Wings said...

Quite a loss. But also, quite a legacy left behind.

Darius Whiteplume said...

There seems to be a lot of screwiness going on with his heirs for the last several months. When looking for a report I saw something about his son breaking into his museum with a back hoe, of all things.

I hate to eulogize, but I think his art is so important. He's lucky he had the fame while he was alive.

Lockwood said...

I've admired his work for 35 years or more.

Maybe this will give you a smile, though. It's described as a prototype, but I suspect all the big boys will want.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/toysrevil2/tags/blackwidowhtb/show/

Darius Whiteplume said...

@Lockwood - Not sure I have the action figure budget for that one :-) Definitely looks better than the other one I saw.

Jamdin said...

Sad news indeed.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I always loved the way he drew women that were usually walking away from the camera. No one got the fatasy curves just right like Frazetta did. Thankfully his work will always be with us. He was the first artist I could instantly recognize by his style.

Darius Whiteplume said...

@Kal - was that a Freudian slip? "fatasy" - he did not do many skinny butts ;-D

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Maybe Frank was the one who first sparked my preference for the 'ass/ thigh combination'. If that is true then I owe him more than I ever knew I did.

Post a Comment