Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Thug Life

I don't watch sports. I don't watch the news. I ride a motorcycle, so I don't listen to the radio. It was just this morning I caught wind of this:


Sure, I am a bleeding heart, Yellow Dog, liberal lover of Obama, Clinton, Carter, and Gore, but I think this is pretty egregious. Read the story here.

I see some claim that this kid was breaking the law via trespass. I don't believe this is the case. The stadium (which is not a municipal venue) should be controlling where fans can go, not city police. Second, this is part of sports fandom. Baseball is a dying sport in this country. They should jump for joy that they still have fans excited by the game.

There are two reason the cop tasered this kid. One, look at that fat asshole. I'm not dissing. I am a fat asshole, but he'd never catch that guy. Second, we think taser use is acceptable. I am all for it when there are lives at stake. Being against the death penalty, I am certainly against police killing citizens when their are other avenues. Tasers are not, however, 100% non-lethal. Taser use is opposed by the U.N. and Amnesty International, and have resulted in deaths.

This is so like the "don't tase me, bro," incident from two years ago that it really bothers me. In both instances someone causing a non-threatening disturbance was attacked by law enforcement with a weapon that is capable of killing. Are both of these guys assholes? Maybe, but nobody was going to get hurt until a trigger happy, thug cop got involved.

4 comments:

Tommy Salami said...

I agree 100%. I was disgusted when the comments on NPR of all places were mostly "he got what he deserved!" For what? Are we that insane that interrupting a boring baseball game where batters now "work the count" to drag it out as long as possible has become a crime worthy of electrocution?

Taser use for "noncompliance" should be considered torture.

Darius Whiteplume said...

If that donut-storage-device could have run faster, he could have caught the guy. Maybe he could have reached for his radio and got some backup? "You still get to press a button, Chubs."

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Oh I feel bad for my enjoyment of this whole incident now. I could never catch him either. Not on my best day if he was standing still. I just like the sound and effect of the taser for the comedy it produces. I am such a little person - not physically but in all other ways that matter. I would cry like a baby and wet my diaper if it happened to me.

omg - wv - REFED

Darius Whiteplume said...

Aw.

I just have a problem with cops sometimes.

Post a Comment