Saturday, May 15, 2010

Zartan Zaturday!


GI Joe and I have a weird relationship. When I was young, GI Joe was twelve inches tall and had the Kung-Fu grip. By the time the GI Joe cartoon show came around I was more interested in other things... Like late night Cinemax. Sue me. I was 15. Also, I was staunchly anti-Reagan in those days (still am), and GI Joe was a bit too jingoistic for me. It wasn't until I was older that I realized what was fun about the show. As usual, it's all about the bad guys.

My main interaction with Zartan is from GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra, as portrayed by Arnold Vosloo. I am a fan of Vosloo. He needs to be in more stuff. He was great as Imhotep in The Mummy, as a Darklighter on Charmed, and rocked as Zartan.


That's him, on the right. "Don't pay attention to me. I'm not dangerous... Keep your eyes on the hottie with the guns."

For me, Zartan was the slimiest of villains. He was always ready to screw over a buddy to get what he wants, and Vosloo did a great job with that. Sure, he did not have powers to change his appearance like the cartoon version, but he had that smooth criminal thing going on, and he never let Destro and Cobra Commander know he was going to screw them over until it was too late. Also, if I remember correctly, he used a knife to kill Covergirl. Like they said in Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels, "Guns for show, knives for the pro." That, my friends, is how it's done.

5 comments:

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Wasn't he also Darkman in one of that franchise's sequels? I like the stuff he does too. He has that smile that he gets right at the moment he screws you over that makes you realize how bad your situation actually is. As an audience member that is when I start to fear for the hero. Any bad guy who enjoys his work that much I have to respect.

Bubbashelby said...

Nize zynopsis on ze movie Zartan. Glad to zee zat one on Zartan Zaturday!

Darius Whiteplume said...

@Kal - he was DM, though I have not seen it. I may have to try it on sometime.

@Bubba - I thought I'd be the lone live action wolf :-)

chunky B said...

He did a great job bringing Zartan to the big screen, if anything that movie nailed some of the Cobra forces better thatn the Joe forces.

Happy Zartan Zaturday!

Shawn Robare said...

I'm glad one of us went with the live action version. Still haven't brought myself to see this flick. Love that actor though...

Post a Comment