Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Josie and the Pussycats (Harry Elfont, Deborah Kaplan, 2001)

I have to tell you, I was never interested in this movie. I was never into Archie comics or the cartoons, also on the surface this looks like a funny little teeny-bopper movie that might fill the post Spice Girls world. Boy, was I wrong, and thanks to my web friends (Shon Richards in particular) amends have been made.

Yes, there is a teen movie vibe to this film, but it is more like a parody. Not a parody like Not Another Teen Movie, but a subversive stab at the genre in general. It feels like the other movies, but at its heart it mocks. It takes no time getting there either. The first images and song we hear are not the Pussycats, but rather the film's boy-band "DUjour" doing thie hit Backdoor Lover while a multitude of screaming 'tweens watch. Here are some of the lyrics:

You know that I won't hurt you
So open up and let me in
We love each other way too much
For it to be a sin
Some people use the front door
But that's never been my way
Just 'cuz I slip in back doors,
Well, that doesn't make me, hey!

The film continues to lampoon the pop-music world, though its main target is the commercialization of music and coolness, and selling things to teens.

Rachael Leigh Cook stars as Josie and is believable in the role; a cute wanna-be-punk with a bit of a Joan Jett fixation. Tara Reid is the Tara Reid we always wanted as the ditsy Melody, playing the role with such great silliness that it is a shock it is her. Rosario Dawson is the least teeny-bopper of them all; she is all breasts and attitude as Valerie.

This movie is a load of fun with a lot of great characters. You just might be surprised at how anti-MTV it is.

4 comments:

Cap'n Carrot said...

Du Jour means seatbelts.

Darius Whiteplume said...

Du Jour means family! :-D

ronnwaters said...

I loved this movie!

Darius Whiteplume said...

Hi Ron, it was a lot of fun.

Post a Comment