Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Fiction's Finest Nerds #40

I thought I'd handle this post differently, and talk about a whole show (sort of). I never saw more than one episode, but IFC is now running Freaks & Geeks, and I am falling in love with it.

The star of the show is Nerd Girl of Note #39, Linda Cardellini. This is not Linda's first appearance in this blog, nor this category. She artfully portrayed Velma Dinkley, our Premiere Fiction's Finest Nerds entrant. Now, Freaks & Geeks is an ensemble cast show, but much like all other ensembles there is that focus character, and Cardellini's Lindsay Weir is it.

This show is littered with the now famous. First, Judd Apatow was a writer/director. We have James Franco, Seth Rogen, Jason Segel, and Busy Phillips on the Freaks side, and John Francis Daley (Bones), Samm Levine (Inglorious Basterds), and Martin Starr rounding out the Geek contingent. There are many other characters, and cameos. Too many to mention.

One thing I like about the show is that even though there are some stereotypes, it is not overly harsh to either group. There are not a lot of cool kids, and those they do feature are very much like I remember high school. Some are fine, some are assholes.

Give this show a watch if you never saw it before. It is highly enjoyable.

3 comments:

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

You are two for two on this one. I adore her. From F&Gs to ER she was always adorable. I hope she gets to play some sci fi bad girl in her next role.

Dr. MVM said...

I can't bear to watch Freaks and Geeks because it hits too close to home for me. But hell yeah, she's super fine sexy in that show. Hells yeah.

Darius Whiteplume said...

@Cal - she would make a great evil space princess. I never got into ER. About the only episode I remember was george Clooney and a kid trapped in a storm drain... maybe?

@DMVM - I think I'd be one of the auxiliary characters. I was too geeky for the freaks, but big and mean looking enough to not take much shit from jocks.

Post a Comment