Friday, July 9, 2010

Nerd Girl of Note #70

Jennifer Tilly is one of my best friends. No, we've never met, but I know it. Deep down I am sure she and I would be buddies. She's funny and quirky, sexy as hell, and has a cartoon voice. What else do you need?

Frankly, I don't remember exactly when I became aware of her. I knew about her sister from Agnes of God, but also remember an interview with la Tilly for the movie Let It Ride (Joe Pytka, 1989) where she said the director always wanted her to jump around and have her boobs fall out of her shirt. She said, how about I jump around and they don't fall out? That's funnier, because no one does that. I always thought she was opposed to doing nude scenes, and then I saw The Getaway (Roger Donaldson, 1994). No qualms on her part there.

My favorite of her movies, easily, is Bound (The Wachowski Brothers, 1996). It is the story of a lesbian ex-con (Gina Gershon) and a mobster's moll, Violet (Tilly). The pair plan to rip off Violet's man, Ceasar (Joe Pantoliano). It is a violent thriller with some nice twists and steamy scenes between Gershon and Tilly. It has a very classic noir feel to it, and is always enjoyable to watch.

Tilly has been out of the film scene for a while, doing voice work for Family Guy as Bonnie, and spent a few years as a professional poker player. She has three films in the works, including The Secret Lives of Dorks (Salomé Breziner, 2010).


















12 comments:

wiec? said...

good call friendo!

Darius Whiteplume said...

Glad you approve ;-)

Dr. MVM said...

Bound is a classic. And so is Tilly.

Darius Whiteplume said...

I need to rewatch Bound. I have the DVD, but have not watched it for a while. I love Chris Meloni in it, his character is such a dicky guido. :-)

Lubbert Das said...

Good call...

Absolutely adore J Tilly!

joe bloke said...

I bet she drinks pints. and rolls her own tabs.

my kind of gal. . .

Darius Whiteplume said...

@Lubert - Hard to believe how long she's been around. Holding up quite nicely.

@Joe - I assume tab = cigarette or perhaps "cigarette" ;-)

Matt said...

Darius,

Can I suggest you watch "the Crew" I it she plays a support role as a stripper trying to off her mother for money by getting retired mobsters (Richard Dreyfuss and Burt Reynolds among otherS. It all goes wrong but is very enjoyable and she is superb in it.

Darius Whiteplume said...

Thanks, Matt. I will have to look for that one (I seem to remember the title, and the Reynolds/Dreyfus connection).

Darius Whiteplume said...

Wow. Speaking of the crew, check out this cast:

Richard Dreyfuss, Burt Reynolds, Dan Hedaya, Seymour Cassel, Carrie-Anne Moss, Jennifer Tilly, Lainie Kazan, Miguel Sandoval, Jeremy Piven, Casey Siemaszko, Matt Borlenghi, Carlos Gomez, Frank Vincent, Louis Lombardi

Unfortunately, Netflix does not have it. I may have to Amazon/eBay it sometime.

M said...

They don't make 'em like Jennifer Tilly anymore. Starlets today are TOO COOL to let a boob fall out,or play a recurring character in a cartoon. Jennifer Tilly is a true STAR!

Darius Whiteplume said...

@M - True. She is pretty awesome.

Post a Comment