Friday, July 30, 2010

Nerd Girl of Note #73

She sort of dropped of my radar for a bit, despite fairly steady work since 1982, Jennifer Connely has Nerd Girl cred. She was "Jenny" in The Rocketeer,"Betty Ross" in Hulk. There was Mulholland Falls, Waking the Dead, Blood Diamond, Dark Water, The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008 remake, obviously), and several others. Her most famous role was one of her earliest.

Labyrinth is the story of a young girl, Sarah, who wishes that her little brother would be stolen by the Goblin King. Oddly enough her wish comes true. Regretting this, Sarah travels to rescue her brother and must traverse the Goblin King's Labyrinth. Along the way she meets up with the strange inhabitants, most of which aid her on her quest. The films is directed by Jim Henson, and makes excellent use of Muppet-Based Technology© to bring the story to life. It is very kid friendly, while remaining an enjoyable film for most any age (one of Henson's greatest skills).









9 comments:

saotby said...

also...Ass To Ass in Requiem for a Dream, a fine film, I don't personally like very much.

Darius Whiteplume said...

I have not seen Requiem yet... I got the Connelly bug after watching "Career Opportunities" a few weeks back. If anything, I might have to check out "The Rocketeer" next.

J.D. said...

Yeah, ROCKETEER is a fun film and Connelly looks absolutely stunning. Another good one with her in it is THE HOT SPOT, a neo noir with her, Don Johnson (seriously!) and the also hot Virginia Madsen.

Darius Whiteplume said...

I have a surprisingly high Don Johnson tolerance. I don't seek him out, but hardly ever hate him in anything. "Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man" is awfully good, if occasionally stupid ;-D

Kal said...

She is one of my all time crushes. 'Career Opportunities' is one of my favorite guilty pleasures. I hate that she has got so skinny lately. I like her a bit more 'robust'.

Lockwood said...

How did you leave out Dark City from her list of credits?

Darius Whiteplume said...

@Kal - I loved Career Opportunities. She probably could use a sandwich ;-)


@Lockwood - I have not seen a ton of her stuff. I'll have to look for Dark City.

Lockwood said...

Do. It was only one of the best sci-fi-suspense movies of the 90's. I haven't watched as many movies over the last ten years, but I really expected its look to be as influential as that of Blade Runner was in its time.

Nathan said...

I agree that she's gotten too skinny as of late. Maybe when you date her, Kal, you can start making her bigger dinners. {g}

I think the most recent movie I saw with her in it was House of Sand and Fog.

Post a Comment