Monday, August 16, 2010

Tila Tequila > Juggalos

I am going to present a differing opinion to those I have been seeing on the web lately. Not a superior opinion, just differing. I try my best not to judge my fellows, and in this case I don't think those I judge are fellows. I am judging Juggalos.

In 2007, a twenty-six year-old Tila Tequila was given a show on MTV. I am guessing this is how the pitch went:

MTV: "So, you are bisexual."
TT: "Maybe...?"
MTV: "Would you do a dating show where you are bisexual and have to pick from a group of men and women who are of the MTV hot variety and will degrade themselves. You'll be the only one anyone remembers and we'll pay you a lot of money."
TT: "Where do I sign?!?"

Now, obviously I was not present, but I imagine if were 26 and had few prospects I would jump at the chance too. I don't blame her. I don't necessarily like her, but I certainly don't blame her.

Now, recently at "The Gathering"—a meeting of Juggalos (fans of Insane Clown Posse), Tila Tequila was scheduled to appear. When she came on stage she was booed and everything from rocks and bottles to feces from the portajohns were thrown at her. There are a lot of people I don't like. There are a few people I hate. There is no one I would stoop to throwing human shit at.

I'm not above all this. I laughed at, and reblogged on Tumblr, a video of Justin Bieber getting hit with a water bottle at a concert. Frankly, it was a hell of a throw. It was a fair distance at a moving target. It was either very lucky, or thrown with a great deal of skill. It was, however, a dick move. I feel a little bad about enjoying it now.

The Tila Tequila incident is a lot worse, and not just because of the feces. She was invited to appear, and there is some indication that the promoters incited the incident. All over the web I see people posting links and LMAO's (primarily on Tumblr, often one of the cruelest social outlets). It is discouraging. Really, what has this woman done to any of us? Did her show suck? Yes. Did it help turn MTV in the all-douchebag-all-the-time network? Certainly. I still contend it is hardly her doing. MTV is the reason we hate Tila Tequila. If it wasn't for them, we likely would not know who she is. Certainly she had a following on the internet prior to the show, but so do a lot of people. Hell, I have a bit of a following on the internet.

I guess what I want to say is, let's not let this give credence to the Juggalo mindset. Anyone who would reach into a portable toilet to remove feces in order to throw it at someone does not deserve praise. There are worse things going on in the world, but what the hell does this say about us? What the fuck is wrong that we have people like this? WTF?

</sermon>

6 comments:

Daskaea said...

I agree, this is beyond disgusting. Tila has had other exploits of acting plum crazy on Twitter after her girlfriend died of overdose but no one gave her a break for that. I honestly watched both a Shot of Love and it was fairly entertaining. It also gave rise to one of the more awesome lesbians on the planet, Dani Campbell (who garnered a lesbian following). I really don't understand this extreme disdain for Tila though. And not only is this incident ugly, I hope she wins a giant lawsuit and makes bank, because frankly, if this incident was incited in some ways by the promoters it is sick and cruel, inhuman, and disgusting. No matter how ridiculous and D-list you are, no one deserves mob treatment except pedafiles and serial killers. But even they are protected from that. I have another reason to hate ICP fans.

Darius Whiteplume said...

I find it odd that everyone loved that fake Italian guy who got his own show. I saw him on The Soup once, and his accent started slipping. It was pretty clear that he was doing a shtick, and a pretty offensive one at that.

kenchan13 said...

I wanted to share a quote i read somewhere. "Juggalos are like Stormtroopers. Alone they are pretty harmless but in a group they can cause some damage."

Darius Whiteplume said...

That does seem to lend to my skinhead equation we were discussing before... :-) Oh, wait. They meant STAR WARS Stormtroopers :-) I can see that. Same brain with no hive-mind.

Kal said...

Unfortunately the culture loves to tear people down as much as it likes to build them up, maybe more so. The really evil ones are the ones who manipulated things towards their own selfish ends and leave damaged people like Tila in their wake. She of course made choices along the way but I find myself feeling more sorry for her than disliking her.

Darius Whiteplume said...

I am with you. I think she got caught in the gears of the big machine.

Looks like you got your computer working? Yeah! Did you get the SGU?

Post a Comment