Thursday, September 23, 2010

Short Movie Reviews

Underworld: Rise of the Lycans is a prequel to the first two Underworld films. This time Rhona Mitra (Doomsday) is the leather clad, ass kicking hottie. I have to tell you though, I did not get into this one. Not Rhona's fault, I'm sure. It just seemed to be very talky, and perhaps only really giving us items that serious Underworld fans are interested in. Maybe I was dazzled by my new netbook? Of course, if an action movie with a hot chick can't keep your attention, what the hell can?

Verdict: I'm gonna say "meh."

Superman: Doomsday was not a favorite. Maybe it was because I am not really a Superman fan? Frankly, the only time I have really enjoyed Supes was the first Christopher Reeve movie. Maybe it had something to do with the rehashed story, or the lack of the traditional Bruce Timm styling? Whatever it was, I just could not get enthused. Oh, and I am no Anne Heche fan, and her Lois Lane was pretty annoying. I don't think I have ever disliked Lois more.

Verdict: I just could not get interested.

Moulin Rouge! is, while at times laboured, very nicely done. I think the music is nicely used, and the occasional medley usually blends very well. I like how it maintains a gaudy look throughout, and reflects much of the bohemian art of the time, if perhaps with brighter colors. I did MST3K it a bit, telling Ewan McGregor to use his Jedi mind tricks with more regularity than was reasonable, or indeed funny. What can I say? That's how I roll. (DVD)

Verdict: Fun and interesting.

A Clockwork Orange pits Malcolm McDowell against a Dystopian future. Unfortunately, the DVD did not play well so I did not see the end. I seem to remember it being like Full Metal Jacket, with a before and after... Two movies, essentially. I have not seen it for about 20 years, and forget the last half completely. (DVD)

Verdict: Very good, but disturbing.

Black Mama, White Mama is one of the great WIP films. It has it all. Pam Grier is in top form as the tough, take-no-shit Lee Daniels. A take off of the 1958 Sidney Poitier, Tony Curtis escape film The Defiant Ones is full of action and gratuitous nudity. Grier and Sid Haig steal the film, with honorable mention to Lynn Borden as the evil Matron Densmore. Read the full review here. (DVD)

Verdict: A must-see for exploitation fans.

3 comments:

Copyboy said...

Totally hear you with the Doomsday scenario one. Meh.

Rick "The Hat" Bman said...

Yeah, Doomsday was not a particularly good animated movie. It just didn't have the impact that the original Doomsday comic story line had.

You need to finish up watching Clockwork Orange sometime. Love that movie. Disturbing as all hell, but works amazingly well. Also, the book is quite good.

Darius Whiteplume said...

@CB - This was likely my least favorite DC animated so far. I may have to watch New Frontier again to get the taste out of my mouth ;-)

@Rick - I'll have to check it out again. It came the night before our trip. Also, the DVD was scratched, and we missed a big part of the "it's a sin! Ludwig Van never hurt nobody!"

Post a Comment