Monday, October 11, 2010

Fan-Boy Icon #25

If you were to ask me, "Darius, if you were not the incredibly fabulous you, who would you want to be?" Well, without doing any research up front I would likely say Tom "Mister Zombie" Savini. Second place might be Kurt Russell, but I am not sure Goldie Hawn is my cup of tea.

Savini has likely added more Win to films than anyone else. Sure, he's been involved in some stinkers, but his mere presence can turn a film around for you. He's an actor, a stuntman, director, combat photographer (during the Vietnam conflict), and special effects artist who is likely responsible for giving birth to a good portion of anything you find great about horror movies. Oh, and of course he is basically George Romero's right hand.

6 comments:

Strange Kid said...

Loved Savini in From Dusk to Dawn soooo much better than his cameo in Machete or Planet Terror. One hell of a talented artist!

Darius Whiteplume said...

I liked him in the "Dawn of the Dead" remake as well, playing the hillbilly sheriff that is essential to Romero-styled zombie films.

Rick "The Hat" Bman said...

He does bring some awesome to movies but he is kind of a dick in real life. I met him at a convention and he was just very off putting. I thought it was just me, so I talked to a few other people about him and everyone I talked to said it is just the way that he is.

He has been responsible for some completely awesome moments in horror movie history though. Lots of zombies and the makeup for Jason at the end of the first Friday the 13th. He will always be an awesome part of horror movie history.

Darius Whiteplume said...

I imagine being so important to so many fan-boys can be troublesome, but then sometimes people are just dicks. I think I have given up on meeting stars, as I hate to be disappointed in people :-)

Kal said...

Tom was good in 'From Dusk to Dawn' and I am surprised he isn't seen in more supporting roles, especially in the horror genre. He's a natural. I also like the way that even on the most low budget creature/features you get nothing but his best monster design work. I may hate the movies his work is used in but you can never fault his part of those films.

Darius Whiteplume said...

He is good in the old, very weird "Knightriders" with Ed Harris, and oddly enough directed by George Romero. Savini plays the heel, and if I remember correctly he did a good job playing against Harris.

Post a Comment