Sunday, October 10, 2010

Halloween Challenge #10

The Omen is one I saw when I was a small, small child. My mother was a bit lenient where horror was concerned. Anyway, I don't think this ever scared me, but I really only remember the "it's all for you, Damien!" part, and the tricycle...

I like the movie. It is watchable and holds your interest, but frankly I don't get the fear. I don't find the kid all that creepy, at least no more than I find all kids creepy. Maybe it is my lack of belief in the holy/unholy that keeps me from being scared, though the nanny does give me the creeps at times. I think I have lots of problems with the logic of it. Damien cannot go into a church, but is some day expected to be the American President, a job whose primary experience is being seen in a church... Maybe he grows out of it?

Verdict: Definitely a classic, but maybe not as fantastic as you may have heard.

4 comments:

dfordoom said...

I think you've summed this one up fairly well. It's one of those movies where you need to be a believer in order to find it scary, but if you're not a believer it's still campy fun.

Darius Whiteplume said...

It doesn't really endear me to the sequels. I doubt I'll bother with them.

Nathan said...

I didn't see this movie until my adult life, and I didn't care for it. It seemed like there was no actual connection between Damien and his (supposed) parents, which pretty much eliminated any emotional conflict there might have been in the dad realizing his son was the spawn of Satan. According to my mom, this movie is why my name isn't Damon. The movie came out the year before I was born, and apparently "Damon" was just too close to "Damien." That's okay, though, because I prefer Nathan to Damien.

Darius Whiteplume said...

Yeah, the mom hated him, and the dad certainly had other things on his mind than the child. I love how they just accepted the new nanny without question and never fired her for being a pain in the ass. Republicans... ;-)

Post a Comment