Monday, October 11, 2010

Halloween Challenge #11 (Double Down Edition)

Phantasm, despite being quite important to mid-eighties heavy metal culture, is one I have never seen. I did not get into it. It wasn't scary, despite some killings. The old mortician is supposed to be the scary part, but didn't do anything for me. Let me know if I should bother revisiting this one, otherwise, I will stick with Fantasm instead.

Verdict: 29 minutes in and I was done.


So, I tried another one...

Cruising I took a chance on, as it is a serial killer movie, which I typically consider horror. Also, I read Tenebrous Kate's review. It's a decent film, but did not really scare me at all. About the only time I jumped a bit was when I realized why the guy was lubing up his fist. I did, however, finish this one. Despite the serial killer, this one is more crime drama, but even more a "look at the S&M gays" drama. I don't think it was overly offensive to this subculture as it is frankly a subculture that sets out to offend. It was likely a very brave thing to put out at the time (1980).

Verdict: Not scary, with a confusing finalé. Worth a watch, unless violence and gore are your aims.

So, I tried... Really I did. Perhaps the next stab at horror will be more effective.

7 comments:

kenchan13 said...

I love both these films. They induce a dread in me that i cant explain. Horror films from the 70's tend to do it for me i guess cause they scared me as a kid they still induce that lost fear. Ever see Magic with Anthony Hopkins or Tourist Trap with Chuck Conners? Scares me shitless every time i see them.

Darius Whiteplume said...

I have not seen those. I'll have to give them a look.

Nathan said...

I also first saw Phantasm as an adult, and found it pretty boring. Also, what's with it suddenly changing from a horror movie to bad sci-fi about halfway through? Angus Scrimm was decent enough, although I'm not sure why he's called "The Tall Man" when he really isn't.

Darius Whiteplume said...

I did not make it that far in Phantasm. It just wasn't doing it for me. Aren't there like five Phantasms all together? Geez.

Nathan said...

Yeah, I think so. Maybe you have to see it as a kid for it have any real impact.

Ninja Dixon said...

He's quite a tall man compared to his slaves...

Nathan said...

Yeah, but so is Warwick Davis. {g}

Post a Comment