Friday, October 15, 2010

Halloween Challenge #15

Sugar Hill is a Blaxploitation, revenge, zombie movie from MGM and AIP. Diana "Sugar" Hill's fiancé runs afoul of mobsters and is murdered. Sugar wants them dead, and goes to Mama Maitresse, the old Voodoo lady. With her help, she elists the mystical aid of the Voodoo god Baron Samedi. Along with a troupe of macheté weilding zombies and other Voodoo powers, the bad guys get bumped off one-by-one.

While it is a true Blaxploitation film, it still has a good horror quality. The zombies are not just shambling around, they appear from the shadows to fall on their prey. Baron Samedi, played wonderfully by Don Pedro Colley, is creepy and scary, and evil. When he gives Sugar the zombies, he says "use them for evil! That's what they are for!"

Verdict: If you like Blaxploitation or revenge films, this is well worth your time.

4 comments:

Copyboy said...

Would omega man be considered one as well, minus Chuck?

Darius Whiteplume said...

I have not seen much of Omega Man yet. Unfortunately, Heston strikes me the same as Tom Cruise, I don't like them, ergo I won't like there movies. A childish prejudice, but that's how I roll ;-) Of course, that is hiding some classics from me, such as Soylent Green and Planet of the Apes. Maybe I'll get over it someday?

dfordoom said...

I like Chuck Heston as an actor, and he's perfectly cast in The Omega Man. Unfortunately the movie falls apart really badly. It's almost worth seeing just for Heston's performance, but if you're not a Heston fan there's not much reason to see it.

I didn't like Soylent Green either. Planet of the Apes though is a great movie.

As for Sugar Hill - blaxploitation and voodoo? I absolutely must see this one.

Darius Whiteplume said...

You should check out Empress Kate's review of Sugar Hill from last year here as well. I like it more as I get away from it, which is rare.

Post a Comment